Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 4:14:29 AM EDT
After letting the carrier slide forward and the weapon on safe and separating the two receivers,is any harm done by switching off safe and pulling the trigger on an open lower?Does it do any damage at that point or when the upper is reattached?Sorry for such a stupid question.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 5:00:40 AM EDT by DarkStar]

NEVER let the hammer drop with the upper and lower separated, the lower can be damaged in this manner, as well as the bolt catch and hammer itself... To decock the hammer with the halves separated pull the trigger while you're holding the hammer to control its motion. After you've decocked take a look at where the hammer is resting when the halves are separated and it will make sense why you don't want to let the hammer simply drop by pulling the trigger... And no, that's not a dumb question...

Edited to add: with the AR halves reassembled, it's safe to dry fire...

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:00:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 5:00:28 AM EDT by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:12:01 AM EDT
Thanks,DarkStar;what should I look for if I've already done it(now you know why it was a stupid question)?Is it ok to separate the receivers without cocking the weapon-safety considerations notwithstanding?This a new gun and I know it is unloaded.IE, after verifying an empty chamber can I safely dry fire the weapon and separate the receivers while on fire mode.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 5:42:10 AM EDT by alpo]
ALWAYS verify an empty chamber, wheather new or not. Pull back the bolt and look in the chamber and make sure its empty and release the bolt. Then point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger. then you can seperate the two halves. Releasing the hammer on a seperated lower can dammage the lower where the hammer hits it. Always hold the hammer with your finger before pulling the trigger then let it come forward easy to rest in the fired mode.

edited to say: Yes its ok to dryfire the weapon with the upper and lower together.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:54:09 AM EDT
Thanks,alpo;I am aware of the safety considerations and tried to indicate that in my preface.What should Ilook for in the lower to verify any damage?This happened only once.Is once enough to damage any parts?Thanks to all for your help.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:03:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NIGHTSTALKER_O6:
Thanks,alpo;I am aware of the safety considerations and tried to indicate that in my preface.What should Ilook for in the lower to verify any damage?This happened only once.Is once enough to damage any parts?Thanks to all for your help.

Just check where the hammer rests against the lower when seperated. Then pull it back and let it cock and inspect the area. Should be ok. Don't think once will damage it but that is an aluminum reciever and the hammer is steel and comes forward with some force.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 8:48:23 AM EDT by NIGHTSTALKER_O6]
Thank you.No damage at all.
Top Top