Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2006 12:11:34 PM EDT
I am looking for a scope to mount on a .308W for some long range target shooting.  Every time I think I have found a suitable scope, I find something else that says it is no good.  I have spent the last week surfing web looking and feel I am more lost than when I started, but in all the looking I think now I know the features/specs I want.

I am looking for
6-24x40 or 42 (would prefer to not have a 50)
target turrets
mildot reticule
side focus
price range 300-400ish maybe higher if the scope fits the specs.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

Freezing in the Great North
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
For that price it going to be hard, the Super Sniper scopes are good for the money. Just save up some more and get a good old Leupold target scope.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How much should I plan on spending for a decent scope?  I cannot justify the 1000-2000 price I have seen on some...

I was looking at the Nikon Buckmaster and the next step up i was looking at the 4200 elite.  Looking for help and ideas :D
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You have two requirements that usually cost a lot of money: 1- side focus, 2- A 4x multiplier on the zoom (6 to 24 is 4x,) most scopes are 3x on the zoom, the 4x is pricey.

You may have to make compromises in order to get what you want; either increase the money or drop the side focus or the 4x zoom, or both.  Or get a lower quality scope.

My suggestion would be to look for a 3x zoom with side focus.  If that doesn't work out, drop the side focus and look for an adjustable objective.

It has been said many times before, when it comes to optics, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How much should I plan on spending for a decent scope?  I cannot justify the 1000-2000 price I have seen on some...

I was looking at the Nikon Buckmaster and the next step up i was looking at the 4200 elite.  Looking for help and ideas :D

Well both of those are great scopes. U can find some Lepolds for the right price Midayway had some a few months ago like this Great Price But they are sold out of these they allways sell the last years models cheap to load up on next years models. Just use your search engine to find the best prices. Type in the info and go hunting on the web. I keep my eyes open for some good prices for U. If you dont really need the Mil-dot the Duplex works fine. that will save you a $100 in price right there.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I prioritized your requirements by the order in which you listed them.  The first one was a zoom from 6-24X40.  For a 3x zoom that would be either a 6-18 or a 6.5 to 20.  Target turrets seem to be important as they were listed second.  I agree and I like target turrets, especially for target shooting.  The next one was mildot reticle. The fourth one was side focus.  And the last one was the price range, which seemed to be pretty specific so is probably more important that it seems.

At www.4scopes.com/buckmasters.htm you will find a Nikon 6-18X40 with side focus and your choice or either target dot or Nikoplex for $291.  As M4-TUNA so rightly said, if you don't really need Mil-dot, other reticles work fine and you can save money (especially for target shooting.)   I realise this one is only up to 18 power (3x zoom) but the price is right where you were looking, has side focus and target turrets.

If you look at www.www.4scopes.com/monarch.htm, you can get a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44 with an adjustable objective.  it is closer to your requested range of 6-24, but it does not have side focus.  It also comes with a sunshade, target turrets and your choice of reticles, including an illuminated Mildot.  The price ranges from $416 to $567, depending on the reticle, again remember what M$-TUNA said.

I have this one on my .308 and it is magnificent.  I do not have the Mildot, I selected the Nikoplex but would suggest the target dot for long range target shooting.  $416 for the target dot or the Nikoplex.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Double check maximum adjustments if you want to shoot long range, I bought a 6x24 4200 and it only had 26" of adjustment.  Not near enough...LL
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top