Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 6:06:41 PM EDT
I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for a secure, light-weight safe. I live in an upstairs apartment that would be nearly impossible to get a full size safe into (not to mention that I have no need for a 10-gun safe, nor would I have any room to put it). I currently own 1 AR and a Glock with plans to eventually get an AK and a shotgun. I thought I heard about a type of rifle lockbox that can be mounted to a wall that will keep a couple long guns secure. Any help would be great. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:12:27 PM EDT
Mossberg sells a single gun lock. You mount it to your wall and the gun locks in by the breach. I'm not sure if it fits rifles but at least you have an idea. http://www.mossberg.com/locbox.htm

Sentry Group sells a 5 gun safe that weighs 70 pounds. http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products.asp?r=30&s=178

hope i could help
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 6:51:26 PM EDT by chris157c]
i just put a sentry on lay away, but it holds 14 guns. i pick it up on friday (payday). if your not worried about fire, you can geta sentry for cheap. the fire safes are too much for me. don't want to dip into my gun budget... the sentry safes mount to the floor, and have a small hole to put one of those dehumidifiers through. what more do yoy need?

ETA: get the safe from wal mart, unless you refuse to do business with them. the price for that 5 gun locker above this post is twice as much as the 10 gun locker they had. (i know MSRP, but anything online is going to have outrageous shipping charges) Also not that i said locker. the lockers and safes are to different animals. You said safe, and thats what i bought. like i said mine holds more than you want, but i think their 10 gun would be ideal for you. keep in mind all the other things you can store in it like money, or the old ladies flying broom.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:57:59 PM EDT
Instead of buying a cheap lightweight "gun cabnet", and that is what the are, as they are not a safe, consider a way to "hide" your weapons with the bolts and mags removed and locked with a trigger lock. If actually stolen, they will be almost useless and sometimes marks left from prying off the trigger locks lead to a recovery. Police can alert local shops to be on the lookout for someone asking about ordering a bolt, etc.

I understand the problem of limited space, etc., but to buy a "gun cabnet" on the cheap may lead to a false sense of security.

The benefits of the heavier "Safes" are two folk, thicker material that is tougher to defeat, and they can be defeated, and mass weight, which makes them difficult to just haul off.

Even when mounted to the wall or floor, the light-weight offerings can be easily pryed from their connection point. They are not as solid as you think.

A security cabnet is BETTER THAN NOTHING but consider neat ways to "hide" your weapons. You can't steal what you can't see.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:11:27 PM EDT
I got this Sentry safe from walmart for $200. It's a safe, not a cabinet. It took myself and another guy to get it into by second floor apartment. With my ARs and the 2000 rnd of ammo I put in the bottom of it, it would be a bitch to get it back down the stairs. It would take at least three or four guys, and it would be pretty conspicuous.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:28:20 AM EDT
Don't waste your time or money on the cheap gun lockers. Being in LE I've seen them pried opened very easily and once just carried off whole and pried opened later. There wasn't even anything in it, but the theives thought there was. As stated above with one of these your better off hiding your guns if you can and not telling anyone what you have. Friends can tell other friends you dont know what all you have. A safe just points to where your valuables are. The small floor safes people keep around are notorious for being stolen. If you get one of the sturdier smaller gun safes, still hide it if you can and bolt it to the wall or it can walk off also. Make sure your neighbors know to call the police if any suspicious activity around your place. I've been to cases where the whole house was loaded up right next to someone that didn't call the police because they didn't think anything about it. Kinda like that show "It's takes a thief" if it's done in broad daylight (when most people are at work anyway) and not hiding anything some people don't pay any attention. Go figure...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:06:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
I got this Sentry safe from walmart for $200. It's a safe, not a cabinet. It took myself and another guy to get it into by second floor apartment. With my ARs and the 2000 rnd of ammo I put in the bottom of it, it would be a bitch to get it back down the stairs. It would take at least three or four guys, and it would be pretty conspicuous.

You got MSRP $677 (10 gun) safe for $200 ??? I sure want one of those!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:09:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tominator425:

Charlie 31

$288.88 last time I checked walmart online.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:44:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nosmik:

Charlie 31

Damn! Thats a good price!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:56:11 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to try Wal Mart even though I have refused to do business with them for years. When I buy a house in a couple of years, I will definately be looking at getting a heavy safe. Right now I live in a suberb where there is practically no crime (unless you count the high school cheer-leaders TP'ing the Varsity football team on homecoming), so I'm not too worried. I'm just trying to be a responsible firearm owner. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:34:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clasky:
Right now I live in a suberb where there is practically no crime

Do not be overconfident about it. Remember the show It takes a thieve. They are all decent areas that many would think "nothing's going to happen". Just keep your place locked up and everything out of sight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:08:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clasky:
(unless you count the high school cheer-leaders TP'ing the Varsity football team on homecoming

That's a crime ???

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:29:42 PM EDT

Charlie 31

I checked the price online before I got it and the the online price was $288.88, but the local walmart had it for $198. The had just gotten it in, so they may have made a mistake. I jumped on it befor they could correct it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:16:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

Charlie 31

I checked the price online before I got it and the the online price was $288.88, but the local walmart had it for $198. The had just gotten it in, so they may have made a mistake. I jumped on it befor they could correct it.

AFTER i put the 14 gun one i had on lay away, i went online to look at the specs better (i knew they would go fast, and they said they can't special order them). didn't know what the P/N was so i looked on walmart.com. the website was MORE expensive than the store by about 30 bucks. So buy from the store if you can, no shipping and cheaper (safes are EXPENSIVE to ship).
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:58:28 PM EDT
I've got two metal gun cabinets, one is an old Homak that I've had for a long time, the other is a newer one I got at Walmart. Neither will stop a determined, professional thief for very long, but they will stop the average idiot. Within a year of buying my Homak my girlfriend's brother tried to break into it. He spent almost 30 minutes with several big screwdrives, a large prybar and a BFG, all taken from my toolbox. He trashed the cabinet pretty badly but it didn't open. The way it's built makes it very difficult to even get a prybar into, much less pry it open. I beat him half to death and he bought me a new cabinet to keep me from calling the cops. Actually, I beat his ass so bad I was afraid to call the cops. The new one I bought from Walmart a couple of years ago to house my new C&R collection is built about the same. A Sawzall and a handfull of blades would open it pretty quickly though. Of course it would make a racket and take 15 or 20 minutes, but it would open it. Mine are lag bolted tightly against the walls, so just walking off with it without a battle isn't really possible.

In the 25 years I've been using security cabinets my house has been broken into 3 times and I've never lost a single gun. Of course I have to give some of the credit to the dogs I've owned too. It's tough to take the time to open a security cabinet when 2 large dogs are doing their best to rip your legs off and you're afraid the armed owner may be home at any time.

Anyone who thinks hiding your guns will prevent a good thief from finding them needs to watch the show "It takes a thief" on Discovery. An experienced thief can go through your house like shit through a goose so fast it will make your head spin. They don't miss much.
Top Top