Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2005 2:12:59 PM EDT
When people talk about mid length barrels...Are they talking about 18 inch barrels?

what is the best length for a DMR?

Don
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
When someone mentions to midlength they are refering to the length at which the end of the gas tube is extended closer to the end of the barrel.  Such as an M4orgery gas tube is very short and rifle tube is very long.  The midlength tube falls somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
By the way.  1911 Gunner myself mine just happens to be Olive Drab.  So I am OD45.  The midlength by the way is supposed to help a few diffrent ways by taking some of the pressure off of some parts.  Supposed to help with several things just can't remember what they all were.  Sounded good to me so that is what I bought.  RRA CARA4 Midlength 16" Barrel.  Couldn't ask for a better rifle but don't want to start another debate on who's is better!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Im just basically researching a Designated Marksman rifle build for a friend.

I thought that they were usually 18 inch barrels

Don

thanks for the help OD45
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Mid length refers to the gas system and has nothing to do with the length of the barrel.  The mid length uses a gas tube that is 2" longer than a carbine gas system.  It was originally used by Armalite on 16" barrels and provides the same distance between the front sight base and muzzle as found on a 20" with a rifle length gas system and a 14.5" with a carbine gas system.

As for the question about length on a DMR, I assume you mean the length of the gas system.  It really depends on the mission and terrain.  The military tends to use 20" barrels for most things although SOCOM used 18" barrels on their SPRs.   Anything from a 16" to a 24" could work well depending on what you need it to do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
iwas actually asking about the barrel length.

i think you answered my question though....

thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
iwas actually asking about the barrel length.

i think you answered my question though....

thanks

Doh!    I meant to say "I assume you mean the barrel length".  That's what I get for responding to threads here and trying to work at the same time.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top