Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:47:20 PM EDT
I hesitate to ask this,but WTF?I read the thread on M4 handguard movement where the answer was some play is normal.But if one secures the weapon's sling attachment by hand pressure,when I rock it back and forth I hear a sliding noise coming from the area around the upper whether charged or not.What is moving:a spring or what?Something is moving within the bolt group and it is irritating.Before you guys kick me in the ass,bear in mind this is my first AR15.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey NightStalker ...

If it's in the bolt group, it may be the firing pin dancing a bit, but should only very very slightly. Shouldn't be a spring, I can't see how it would be.

I don't think anyone wants to kick you in the a$$, but there are a few resident flamers around.

You asked a question, it's cool by me.

BTW ... I live in the south Dade county area, in Fla.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks;this sound is something sliding within the upper when the weapon is tilted regardless of the plane of the tilt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny you ask this, because my M4 does the same thing and I looked toward the upper as the reason for the sound. Surprisingly it is the buffer in the stock. Take yours out and I bet that is it. Process of elimination. I first removed the upper, but no sound from it. Then traced it to the buffer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the FP out and use process of elimination.

I hate mysterys in firearms.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I first thought of that but I put my ear right nxt to the upper and it was loud.Transference of sound from the buffer to the upper might have fooled me.Thanks,JoeBud.Anyone else think its the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Anyone else think its the buffer tube?

Just clarifying that the buffer itself is making the noise, not the tube. Did you try taking it out to see if that was your noise?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

s.dade sucks don't it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry JoeBud,my bad;I was reading another thread and typed in tube by mistake.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

s.dade sucks don't it?

Ain't nothing wrong with any part of Florida that Floridians can't fix.Outsiders be damned.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
s.dade sucks don't it?

Well, I like it better than the rest of Dade. But I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey NightStalker ...

You're right about Florida.

I'm willing to debate if Miami-Dade is really a part of Florida anymore. Seems more like a salad, nothing mixes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]
JoeBud nailed it; it was the buffer rattling.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top