Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 2:33:25 PM EDT
I have read this before somewhere, but cant find the thread... can someone please post the procedure for stoping the gas from escaping over the charging handle and getting in your eyes.  It involved greasing the top of the upper and putting some epoxy or something on the charging handle.

Thanks!
--Jeremy
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen any how-to's on it but you can buy the "gas buster" charging handle which eliminates that problem.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Jeremy,

There are a couple ways you can do this.  The first is the gas buster charging handle which costs about $90.

Or you can go to the automotive section at Wal-Mart and pick up a tube of PREMATEX HIGH-TEMP RTV SILICONE GASKET MAKER (#26B).  It comes in a red tube.  Take the RTV Silicone and put it in the gap between the charging handle and the receiver and let it dry over night.

I have used this method on all (6) of my ARs.   I usually fill up the gap in the charging handle with the RVT until the silicone is piled higher than the charging handle.  I then take a plastic knife and use the back side of the plastic knife (the opposite side of the cutting edge) and scrap the back side of the knife across the top of the charging handle and silicone so that the silicone is flush with the charging handle.  I let it dry for an hour or two then pull the charging handle back so when it completly dries it sticks to the chargin handle, but not the upper reciever.  Leave the charging handle against the receiver for an hour or two so the silicon has time to take the shape of the upper receiver.  Once this is done it works better than the gas buster charging handle because the silicone completely covers the hole that the gas excapes through.  Hope this helps

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Jeremy,

There are a couple ways you can do this.  The first is the gas buster charging handle which costs about $90.

Or you can go to the automotive section at Wal-Mart and pick up a tube of PREMATEX HIGH-TEMP RTV SILICONE GASKET MAKER (#26B).  It comes in a red tube.  Take the RTV Silicone and put it in the gap between the charging handle and the receiver and let it dry over night.

I have used this method on all (6) of my ARs.   I usually fill up the gap in the charging handle with the RVT until the silicone is piled higher than the charging handle.  I then take a plastic knife and use the back side of the plastic knife (the opposite side of the cutting edge) and scrap the back side of the knife across the top of the charging handle and silicone so that the silicone is flush with the charging handle.  I let it dry for an hour or two then pull the charging handle back so when it completly dries it sticks to the chargin handle, but not the upper reciever.  Leave the charging handle against the receiver for an hour or two so the silicon has time to take the shape of the upper receiver.  Once this is done it works better than the gas buster charging handle because the silicone completely covers the hole that the gas excapes through.  Hope this helps

View Quote

You can also coat the contact area of the upper reciever with oil so the RTV doesn't stick there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok - I think I am getting it... My first thought was that the gas was comming out of the TOP of the charging handle (small clearance between receiver and handle)... now it seems more clear that the gass comes out the bottom (correct???).  This makes sense as the gas tube joins the bolt in this "groove" of the bottom of the charging handle. So I just fill the groove with silicon and presto... So I assume as I need to leave room for the bolt, I want to put the silicon in the groove from maybe just before the detent in the upper (where the handle fits in) to the back of the charging handle.  Dont suppose anyone could post a picture of thier work?

I have some permatex blue rtv... but I guess the red high-temp is better... Good excuse to go to walmart and get some disitent (sp?) bags... I heard a tip to put them in your glove after shooting... aborbs the sweat so they dont get smelly.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeremy,

I don't know what you mean by the "bottom".  The gas that is bothering you is coming from the TOP side of the charging handle.  If you look at your charging handle where it interfaces with the upper receiver, you will see that the part of the charging handle that you hold onto is thick, on the top side of the charging handle where it interfaces with the upper receiver there is a half circle that is not as thick as the handle portion of the charging handle.  If you look at your receiver there is a gap between the upper and the top side of the charging handle you will see where the gas slips through the upper receiver / charging handle.

It's this space on the TOP side of the charging handle that you should use the permatex.  If you look at your rifle from the top you will see the half circle portion of the charging handle that you need to fill in with permaflex. It' on the top side of the charging handle.

I'm a little confused as to why you are talking about the bolt.  I don't have the ability to post a pic to show you what I'm talking about.  But the area of the charging handle that I'm taking about is at the rear of the charging handle (the part you grab onto) this portion is thicker than the rest, where the charging handle steps down near the upper receiver is where you put the permaflex.  When you apply the permaflex your rifle should be assembled and your charging handle should be forward against the upper receiver and you will be able to see where you should add the permaflex.  I hope this is clear now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks... that gives a better picture. I did this and I will take it out this week and see how it goes.  Would be nice to be able to see after about 5 rapid shots ;)

--Jeremy
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
NT
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
NT???   Anyway - an update... this worked just fine.  No more gassy eyes.  It did take longer to settle... about 5hrs before I used a small screw driver to seperate the RTV from the (oiled) upper.
Thanks! - Jeremy
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top