Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 11:51:31 AM EDT
I hope this isn't like a "duh" type question.... but I just bought my first AR, a xm whatever the hell post ban one from bushmaster (NY = no good stuff).  anyway, i picked up at the FFL and drove out to the range, literally opened the box at the range

random the first clip or two i noticed was putting the brass on the bench like 6 inches next to the rifle, but by say the 10th, they were flying at least a bench across from me, is that due to the factory grease or something slowing the bolt or ejector or something?

also whenever i shoot it makes a springy type noise, but i have a fixed stock, it sounds like it would almost be a collapsable stock spring or something.  i dont know if this is normal because ive never shot or owned an AR before, but just wondering. the last shot when the bolt stays open doesnt make the noise though.  so is this normal?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
buffer spring, normal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Springy noise is the buffer spring going back and forth in the buffer tube. (music to my ears) ARs have a collapsible stock because the buffer tube sticks out behind the reciever. Thats why its hard to design a folding stock AR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
ok first off, it's a magazine, not a clip.  Clips load magazines, magazines load the weapon.  

Secondly, you are lucky you didn't blow yourself up.  ALWAYS check/clean the bore of your new rifle when BEFORE you shoot it.  You never know what could make it's way down the barrel and really ruin your day/rifle/life.

Finally, yes, completely normal, and like you stated a good way to note that you have bolt lock and an empty gun.  You'll get used to the 'SPRONG.'
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
buffer spring, normal.

Case closed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Secondly, you are lucky you didn't blow yourself up.  ALWAYS check/clean the bore of your new rifle when BEFORE you shoot it.  You never know what could make it's way down the barrel and really ruin your day/rifle/life.

Hell yah!  You didn't read the manual for the rifle before you loaded ammo and started shooting?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Of course i checked it out first.  But im saying i didnt clean it to remove all the factory grease first thats all.

Anyway, thanks guys, realized right now it was that buffer spring when i took the rifle apart, i pushed it in and went oooooo thats the nosie .
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Buffer spring noise is music to my ears.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course i checked it out first.  But im saying i didnt clean it to remove all the factory grease first thats all.

Not doing so could have resulted in blowing up the rifle and voiding your warranty, that's all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I for one can't stand the BOING!!!, so I took some wheel-bearing grease and lubed the buffer and spring on all my rifles.  They haven't missed a beat after thousands of rounds and now I just hear the BOOM of the round and the snicking of the action cycling.  Makes it sound MUCH more solid.

The only downside is I am so used to my rifles, whenever I fire someone else's rifle, the noise is  REALLY noticable. I don't like it and put it down after a few rounds, regardless of how it shoots.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If you no likey the "TWANG!!!!!"...Ive seen a Pneumatic buffer before and from what ive heard they work nice,..but will slow your rate of fire a bit if you feel it is applicable.

Oh and DUH!!...just kidding..no reallyh=85%

"Ill take mind over matter anytime....Unless of course matter is well directed firepower"
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
i should start a poll..................................i'd be willing to bet this is the oldest and most common question asked about ARs from a brand new owner

i know my first mag downrange had me pulling a WTF is that noise thing.....................
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i should start a poll..................................i'd be willing to bet this is the oldest and most common question asked about ARs from a brand new owner

i know my first mag downrange had me pulling a WTF is that noise thing.....................

That feeling quickly passed and was replaced with the "I love this thang!  BOOM!" feeling...

- BG
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Buffer spring noise is music to my ears.

I dunno about that, sounds more like cheap bicycle suspension.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe the proper term is, 'SPROING'

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the Club!

Congratulations on your first AR, I know it won't be your last.

The sproingy sound kinda grows on ya.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
That is the sound of happieness...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
...and freedom
...and the buffer spring
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top