Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 8:34:15 AM EDT
my ar15 piles up spent brass in a very neat 12" circle at about the 4 clock position using hand loads.  My buddies ar spreads brass all over the place from about 2-5 at all different ranges using the same hand loads?  any ideas? does not seem to affect accuracy just harder to pick up brass.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:02:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 9:04:40 AM EDT by kaos]
There are several factors involved.

Some of those factors include the spring rate and individual specs of a particular buffer spring and ejector spring combination.  These affect 'timing'.

The bolt carrier groups involved, and how they fit/slide in a particular upper.

A particular chamber fit/finish/condition and how worn or butter-smooth the lugs may be.

You're not going to be swapping stripped uppers or chambers, so that's always going to be an unknown.

Phases of the moon.

Swap bolt carrier for a mag or two, though that's not going to tell you as much if it's mostly centered on the ejector spring, extractor and extractor spring/insert.  I'll bet an extractor spring upgrade kit would change things as well, but it'd also possibly introduce other variables to a bolt that seems to already work correctly.  Swap buffer springs for a mag or two.  There may or may not be changes depending on which factors are involved.

It's mostly 'one of those things', but the details are configurable by replacing/swapping 'exact duplicate parts' to a certain extent.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:25:02 PM EDT
Did you shoot the gun yourself? brass position can also change due to inconsistent stance
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:05:27 AM EDT
I have actually never shot his rifle though I have seen it do it from a seated bipod position.
Top Top