Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 9:09:03 PM EDT
well ive had my colt match target for about 6 months now. bought it brand new and only shot about 2000 rounds out of it.  well ive noticed 2 times so far shooting at targets prob 30 yards away that the bullet went thought sideways?????   why is it doing this??
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not quite sure, but I have a 30.06 that did the same thing...

My Uncle said the bullet was tumbling end over end...
It was an old Japanese rifle my Grandfather had re-bored to 30.06, and my Uncle believe it  probably had something to do with the rifling job the gunsmith did...

I don't know if that's true, but I seen what you are talking about first hand...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It's called "keyholing" because the result looks a lot like a key hole on the target.  I've seen it too, but not with my guns.

What ammo are you using and what is the twist rate of your barrel?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe you are refering to keyholeing (i.e. the hole in target looks like a slash not a round hole). If this is the case it is most likely the weight of the bullet.  Most AR type rifles are a 1:9 twist ratio rifling which will only stabilize about 52gr. and heavier projectiles. Try using some SS109 ammo and I bet it will work just fine.

Hope this helps.
Sorry about the spelling its too late to think.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops. I feel like an ass. I didnt read it coerrectly. Deleting first post, sorry
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
im using wolf ammo

so your pretty much saying its bullet weight tahts messing it up?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends....  Certain bullet weights are made for certain twist rates.  The faster the rate, the heavier the bullet.

I don't know the weight of Wolf - or the twist rate of your rifle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Keyholing is normally associated with badly eroded barrel throats. Being that your weapon is new we can rule that out which leaves me without a valid response.[:\] However, you should try the following. First make sure you thoroughly clean your weapon and then get ammo from different mfgs and try them. If the problem is still there I would have a gunsmith take a closer look.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
well let me give you all the info that i know

im using wolf 55gr bullets

gun only has about 2000 rounds though it

on the barrel it says  5.45 nato 1/9 hbar
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
on the barrel it says  5.45 nato 1/9 hbar
View Quote

[>:/]

Only 2 times in 2k rounds tells me it's just the occasional bad bullet.  Bullets aren't always up to spec...espcially Wolf.  If it was an actual twist rate/ bullet weight problem, it would be keyholing all the time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a very good point.  I know that in my experience I've seen a lot of variation from shot to shot in the Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
well ive only SEEN it 2 times that ive been shooting at tartegs.   ive blasted at trees and stuff alot as well
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Just to give you an idea about what you're getting with Wolf ammo...  Open up a box and take out all of the rounds.  Line them all up in a row on a flat table and look down the line and see how much variation you have in height.  That translates into varying seating depth for the bullet, which has all kinds of accuracy implications.  IMO, I really doubt it's your gun's fault.  Do what was already suggested and try some other ammo and see if you have the same problem.

-catch
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
damn cheap russian bullets.  lol

Thanks guys!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top