Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 1:52:40 PM EDT
Anyone have a good FAQ for the lowdown on AR15 pistols, especially w/ the end of the AWB? I don't mean pistol-caliber ARs, but pistol-designated ARs that shoot .223 w/ regular AR mags. Aren't there some special legal considerations about the lower, etc? And technically speaking, wouldn't you lose so much velocity and have so much muzzle blast that it's not worthwhile anyway? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:27:31 PM EDT
Do a search on AR pistols. This has been discussed a lot lately with very differing opinions. My local ATF agent told me that you must start with a purchased stripped lower that has never been assembled. No need to have it registered as a pistol or any of that stuff as if it is a stripped lower, how can it be sold as a pistol OR a rifle. She said that to list it as anything but a stripped lower on the 4473 MAY be a violation. Then document the build so that the first thing it is built into is a pistol. Once a pistol, you can convert it to a rifle so long as you have a 16 inch or longer barrel on it with the stock. Then you can convert back to pistol any time you want so long as you never have the pistol barrel and shoulder stock on at the same time (just like the TC Contender/Encore). She said no need to mark the lower as pistol or anything else. A lot of people say it needs to be sold to you as a pistol and entered on the 4473 that way, she said that is not true, I asked her that point blank, and also about it needing to be registered as a pistol by the maker, again, she said no. Who is right, beats me, but she sent me an e-mail which is what I am going by-an e-mail is not legally binding but I do have several witnesses as my C3 dealer acted as a go between for most of this. Get it in writing if it really worries you. Remember, any letter the ATF has written in the past is only good for the person it is addressed to. A letter to Joe Blow will not do you one bit of good in court. Anyway, that is pretty much it in a nut-shell. Also, use a carbine buffer tube. I hear they work better than the pistol buffer tube as they always need adjusting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:03:14 PM EDT
Top Top