Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 9:44:26 AM EST
bolt and assembly that is

is it worth to spend the extra $$$ on a chromed bolt/assembly($35-$70)?
is it necessary?

P.S: i know to ALWAYS to get a chrome lined bbl
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:48:24 AM EST
no
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:48:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:26:32 AM EST by wedge1082]

eta - Chrome bolt bad.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:25:33 AM EST
You don't need a chrome B/BC, and you don't need a chrome lined barrel either. Chrome lined barrels are for those who don't clean their weapon properly or often enough. The chrome lined barrel hype kills me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:35:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:50:45 AM EST
Chrome bore/chamber: YES
Chromed inside of Bolt Carrier: YES
Chromed exterior of Bolt carrier: NO
Chromed bolt: NO
Titanium firing pin: NO
steel charging handle: NO
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:51:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 11:57:23 AM EST by _DR]

Originally Posted By SteveinAz:
You don't need a chrome B/BC, and you don't need a chrome lined barrel either. Chrome lined barrels are for those who don't clean their weapon properly or often enough. The chrome lined barrel hype kills me.

So SteveinAz, do you like rusty barrels or just safe queens? You see some of us do take our rifles out in Infantry weather (read: mud and torrential rain), and to more places than just the local range, and for more than just a sunny saturday afternoon. As Troy says, Go Chrome or Go Home.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:55:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:00:12 PM EST
just my $.02, but
chrome bolts and carriers are easier to clean, but not a necessity
chrome barrels? not really
i've hunted with m1's, and m1a's that weren't chrome, in the rain, and never had a rust problem
just got to clean them
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:43:34 PM EST
I would like to see him carry his rifle around in the rain for a couple of days then let it sit and see how well the bore and chamber stand up to moisture with out constant care.Field rifle=chrome lined in all the right places bolt and carrier no need to be all chromed,Bench rifle/safe queen lining not necesary because its just shot for looks.Chrome hype try using your rifle in bad weather dont maintain it and see especially when its hot out.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:44:13 PM EST
I would like to see him carry his rifle around in the rain for a couple of days then let it sit and see how well the bore and chamber stand up to moisture with out constant care.Field rifle=chrome lined in all the right places bolt and carrier no need to be all chromed,Bench rifle/safe queen lining not necesary because its just shot for looks.Chrome hype try using your rifle in bad weather dont maintain it and see especially when its hot out.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:01:46 PM EST
I don't know...for as much as almost everybody here says non-chrome totally sucks they sure make a lot of AR's that don't have chrome lined barrels.

Just for the record, I will be getting a chrome lined barrel just in case you guys are right.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:04:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 1:10:07 PM EST by SteveinAz]

Originally Posted By _DR:

Originally Posted By SteveinAz:

So SteveinAz, do you like rusty barrels or just safe queens? You see some of us do take our rifles out in Infantry weather (read: mud and torrential rain), and to more places than just the local range, and for more than just a sunny saturday afternoon. As Troy says, Go Chrome or Go Home.

For tactical use, meaning a war scenario, absolutely go chrome. The average shooter/hunter/range warrior doesn't need chrome lining if they maintain the weapon properly; nor does a home-defense AR.

Funny how rifles have been built for hundreds of years with no chrome lining, and now we need it all of a sudden. Hey, it's your dime, do want you want. Reminds me of the metal guide rod in the Glock argument.

LUMPY...no offense intended brother, my comment points to the Army's initial primary reason for going chrome, which was lack of cleaning in the field. Sure, non-chrome lined weapons require more effort to clean, no doubt, but chrome lining is hardly a necessity IMO.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:16:04 PM EST
alrighty then

did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:20:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 2:20:29 PM EST by SteveinAz]

Originally Posted By model927:

I know all about lugging a weapon, I retired from the Army in 1997, and am a Desert Storm veteran. You don't go a single day without running a patch down your barrel, that is if you like to live.

My comment is based on the fact that this guy is obviously new to AR's, I doubt he's an Army Ranger or Recon Marine putting together a personal weapon. Do you honestly think he needs a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:25:11 PM EST
you know they also make stainless ar barrels.
and they can be coated (like parkerizing) too
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:37:35 PM EST
I use my rifles only at the range but I went chrome. Why? Longevity.

It's great if I can shoot 1/4 MOA at 500 yd with a nice unchromed bore, but if it lasts only 5000 rd then its a waste of my money and time. I want a rifle that will last 10,000 - 20,000 rounds with proper maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:19:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I use my rifles only at the range but I went chrome. Why? Longevity.

It's great if I can shoot 1/4 MOA at 500 yd with a nice unchromed bore, but if it lasts only 5000 rd then its a waste of my money and time. I want a rifle that will last 10,000 - 20,000 rounds with proper maintenance.

Absolutely, agree 100%. Longevity is a major plus with a chrome lined weapon.
Top Top