Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 11:22:37 AM EDT
Wondering what size the trigger group pin holes are on the Olympic Arms lowers, and also FN contract lowers.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
small, the only company who uses big pins is colt, they are dumbasses
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And Colt only uses them on their civilian pieces; not the military cantract stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Small for you.

Only Colt used those large pins in their semiautos; another of their attempts to suck up to the people who intend to destroy them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just so you know, Colt has been trying for years to change back to the standard pin size, but ATF wouldn't allow them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wondering what size the trigger group pin holes are on the Olympic Arms lowers, and also FN contract lowers.  Thanks

FN contract lower receiver for an AR15?

Someone is pulling your leg.

Where are you supposed to be getting an FN contract lower receiver from.
FN only makes new M16 lower receivers for the US Government that are assembled into FN M16s, they do not make AR15 lower receivers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just so you know, Colt has been trying for years to change back to the standard pin size, but ATF wouldn't allow them.

Why is that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Whaaaat?

I'm calling BS on that. Colt can make whatever pin size they want. They only CHOOSE to make a nonstandard pin size.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whaaaat?

I'm calling BS on that. Colt can make whatever pin size they want. They only CHOOSE to make a nonstandard pin size.

Well, this information came from a Colt marketing employee who frequents the 1911forumboard.     Call Colt and ask for a guy named Mark, he can explain it better than I.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whaaaat?

Well, this information came from a Colt marketing employee who frequents the 1911forumboard.     Call Colt and ask for a guy named Mark, he can explain it better than I.

Dark, I'm not trying to flame you, but it is common knowledge that Colt does it to be PC. The larger pin size was never required by the BATF.  Try to find a reference to this on the BATF site regs. It doesn't exist. Someone is pulling your tit. Why do you think RRA, BM, OLY, Armalite etc, etc would not have to comply also? This is pure BS. (again, nothing against you, just bad info).
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The others are correct; it is only Colt who cares enough about their consumer to use super-strong increased-diameter pins. Those other skinny, weak pins will break before the extra-strength Colt pins.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The others are correct; it is only Colt who cares enough about their consumer to use super-strong increased-diameter pins. Those other skinny, weak pins will break before the extra-strength Colt pins.

I love a good sense of humor
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF has no say over what size pins Colt uses.  All the other companies use 'standard' size pins - even Bushmaster who produces more commercial ARs than Colt.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dark, I'm not trying to flame you, but it is common knowledge that Colt does it to be PC. The larger pin size was never required by the BATF.  Try to find a reference to this on the BATF site regs. It doesn't exist. Someone is pulling your tit. Why do you think RRA, BM, OLY, Armalite etc, etc would not have to comply also? This is pure BS. (again, nothing against you, just bad info).

well, I figured if it came from Colt it must be true  I heard this a long time ago so I don't remember most of the details, If I ever find the reference I will post it here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Have many of the small diameter pins broke?  If so, I'd like to read the reports of it if you have links.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have many of the small diameter pins broke?  If so, I'd like to read the reports of it if you have links.

He was joking
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is teasing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, I figured if it came from Colt it must be true  I heard this a long time ago so I don't remember most of the details, If I ever find the reference I will post it here.

Dark, some guy on the 1911 forum who claims to be "Colt marketing" is not "Colt". Colt does not post official company policy on internet forums, I can assure you. There are all kinds of people out there who make all manner of claims. Just call (1-800-962-2658) Colt Manufacturing and see what they say, if you want to get the real skinny.

Or write them a letter:

COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY LLC
Customer Service Department
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT,
06144-1868, U.S.A.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dark, some guy on the 1911 forum who claims to be "Colt marketing" is not "Colt". Colt does not post official company policy on internet forums, I can assure you. There are all kinds of people out there who make all manner of claims. Just call (1-800-962-2658) Colt Manufacturing and see what they say, if you want to get the real skinny.

I understand what you're saying, but I have every reason to believe that he really works for Colt rather than a poser on internet forum.  Unless this 1-800-962-2658 number is bogus and the person I spoke too wasn't really from Colt
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand what you're saying, but I have every reason to believe that he really works for Colt rather than a poser on internet forum.  Unless this 1-800-962-2658 number is bogus and the person I spoke too wasn't really from Colt

That number is from Colt.com as is the address.

But just think about it, why the heck would the BATF mandate that Colt and only Colt would have to have a non-standard takedown pin size. It's not even believable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

But just think about it, why the heck would the BATF mandate that Colt and only Colt would have to have a non-standard takedown pin size. It's not even believable.

My guess is that maybe it's because Colt is a military contractor?  I mean why can't FN make and sell semi auto lowers to the general public.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess is that maybe it's because Colt is a military contractor?  I mean why can't FN make and sell semi auto lowers to the general public.

FN is forbidden to sell rifles or parts due to its military contract.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FN is forbidden to sell rifles or parts due to its military contract.

Maybe Colt is forbidden to sell semi auto rifles with  mil-spec pins? Could it be in the contract for the M4s?
BTW, I know what "Mark" he is talking about. And he does work for Colt. That doesn't mean he is not a lier though
I e-mailed him about Colt's position on civillian sales of LEO rifles. No reply....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That doesn't mean he is not a lier though

Is there a reason that would make you think that way? I thought he's a pretty stand up guy and provided many insights from Colt in terms of 1911s, and I haven't read anything he said that wasn't true.

I e-mailed him about Colt's position on civillian sales of LEO rifles. No reply....

His new position requires him to be almost always on business trip (marketing). From what I understand he's rarely in his office at Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top