Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2003 6:22:02 AM EDT
hey, gents, my name is Jason and I could use some solid advise. Last week, before going to the range, I did a standard tip-up and I think I managed to misalign the the gas tube to the bolt carrier. This caused one round to fire; then complete failure to fire, with rounds being jammed into the bolt. I cleared them and shut down. Get home and the bolt carrier is locked up, big time...Closer inspection reveals that the buffer retainer was way jammed forward and the helical spring slightly bent. Besides replace the buffer retainer and spring, what else or can you offer any advise? I've got a pre- ban Bushmaster XM-15 F2S. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, TIA,Jason

BTW, should I be looking at any other parts for possible damage? thanx
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Jason,

Suspect when attaching the butt-stock ya didn't screw the buffer tube IN FAR ENOUGH to securely capture the buffer retaining pin.

If ya'd mis-aligned the b/bc w/ the gas tube, rifle would have fail'd on first trigger squeeze, possibly igniting first round in chamber, but it'd have left it there and you'd probably have had a face full of powder residue. As ya didn't mention this, suspect above is culprit.

Believe a new buffer retaining pin and spring and a properly seated buffer tube, [b]securely capturing the buffer retaining pin[/b] will fix your problemos.

Mike  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Mike, thanks for the advice. One round did fire; then I began the clearing process, which only semed to jack things up worse.? I just cleared my weapon and decided to leave the range.
I'll take your advise and replace the buffer pin, but I never touched the buffer tube...
All I did was pop the rear take down pin for a quick system check; maybe I got the bolt carrier misalined? Never had a failure to fire before, so I know It's on me. thanx for your help, Jason
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top