Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 1:10:22 AM EDT
Ok simple, straightforward question, and one that my searches so far have not found a real answer to..

I am building an A1 near-clone for my wife, current plans are Stag Lower+DPMS LPK (bought and 99% assembled), plus a A1 style upper from Del-ton, then an A1 furniture set from one of the companies selling the surplused sets (or maybe a Cav C1, the DPMS grip already on the lower and a triangle handguard set)

in my searching around for good prices on the A1 furniture a thought came to me that i had not had before.  

WILL the triamgle handguard simply fit into the existing handguard fittings??   i know it will fit teh Delta ring but as a pretty much total noob to ARs i am no longer sure about the front fitting.

thank you for your time and any guidance you can give me in my endevor (and also your patience with my silly question)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
as far as I understand the fron triangle will work with either handguards
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
what type of rifle are you trying to build? being more specific would get your quesiton answered better

with the triangle handgaurds if you are building an ar with rifle length gas system then they pop in as long as the front handguard cap is triangle. with a carbine lenght gas system you will need the kit in which total silence in the industry forum sells.

also carbines have round handguard caps.

here are some links that came up doing a search on "retro"

"lets see some oldies" picture thread

retro picture thread #2

XM177 from the son tay raid

armson o.e.g.

sp1

retro ar's

m16 uppers

sourcing parts for retro build

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
rifle barrels come standard with triangular handguard caps, both A1 and A2 handguards fit the triangular cap.

thank you, that clears that up rather nicely.

as to what type i'm building, it will be an M-16A1 (full sized rifle) clone, or as near as i can get without breaking the bank.  ie as far as i know, right now there are no readily available, new "A1" (A1 sights, forward assist, no case deflector) uppers on the market, So it looks like i'll be going with what i've heard called a C7 upper that has teh case deflector, but for us this is a minor difference, esp since the deflector would/will make it easier for the rifle to be fired by my Left handed Step-duaghter.

i had thought about one of teh surplus A1 upper assemblies from CDNN but i'm not sure i want to limit the rfle to using only lighter weight bullets.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top