Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2003 2:29:47 AM EDT
hello!  i would like to know what to expect when i install a silencer to my 9mm carbine.. please share some site links for more info,faq,

thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you don't know your expectations, you might be impressed [;)]

Depending on how quickly you shoot the gun (assuming its not full-auto capable) the can will get VERY hot... Remember this if your can is the thread-on kind, when you go to tighten it back on after several or thirty rounds (they can work loose under recoil).

It will not be as quiet as you might think; unless you use subsonic ammo. But be careful: certain types (hollow point for example) can yaw inside the suppressor, causing baffle strikes. This isn't always catastrophic, but can quickly shorten the lifespan and reduction efficiency of the unit. Check the manufacturer's specs to see if they advise/warn against certain types of ammo.

If you can fire the can wet, go for it. This will aid in sound reduction by keeping the interior a little cooler, and helping to displace the gases inside the can (usually, depending on the design of the baffle stack). About a tablespoon of water (or one mouthful, spit into the can...) is enough for several rounds. However, you might get some spray out of the ejection port/charging handle area (back pressure), which will leave black shit all over the nice shirt you're wearing. Wear eye protection for this reason, also.

If you use regular (147 gr. ball, for example) ammo, it will still have the inherent "crack" when fired; depending on how sensitive your ears are, this can still be quite loud or annoying. After prolonged exposure, and especially when firing full-auto, you might find yourself wanting ear protection.

Sorry I don't have any links... You might try the usual suspects like GemTech, AAC, SWR, etc. I think most of these guys have websites, and are always friendly on the phone.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new suppressor, and that I've helped in some small way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll most likely need a heavier buffer and if you're not using the heavier H/T pins Colt uses in their 9mm you'll probably want to get a set. The extra back thrust (can't recall the correct term) of the suppressor can overstress the standard pins and break them. The pins are already a high wear item w/o the suppressor.

Heavier buffers and 9mm H/T pins are [url=http://www.sawlesales.com/jsps/contains.jsp?field=Special&value=Y] here[/url].
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't just buy more pins to replace broken ones ramp your bolt and you won't break the pins in the first place.

Rocksett or an O-ring will solve the suppressor loosening problem.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top