Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/19/2013 4:04:25 PM EST
per my queiries here, I did shorten it:
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=613496

If someone wants to resurrect it I will update the original thread and delete this one

Anyway, I did shorten it to a little shorter than An A1 length. I shortened the stock and I ground off hte reeiver extension so it was just flat on the back, and I shortened the screw

The stock is very simple, just a hollow plastic molding, not like an A1 or A2 w/ a foam inner dipped in hard shell. So shortening it is a simple affair.

I shortened from the butt so as not to loose the indexing dimple in the front. I removed the butt plate and marked a line all the way around equidistant from the back edge, then ground it off, A guy could have done as well w/ a hack saw and some sand paper as it It works easy.

Getting the butt plate back on is where it was a real PIA. Of course, you have to make recesses where there is material in the middle of the stock for the butt plate to to in to. Beyond that though, the butt is tapered enough to where after you cut ca 1" off, the back of the body is not wide enough for the butt plate to be inserted. I had to file all the way around the part of the butt plate that slips inside the perimeter of the stock.

If I did it over again, I would probably just buy an A1 stock. But it is done now and I have a very light weight A1 length stock w/ a generous compartment.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:41:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:37:05 PM EST
Got any after pictures? I would like to see how it turned out.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:10:44 PM EST
looks just like this but ca 1" shorter and w/ an...irregular joint at the butt plate and the stock body

here is a pic of a unmodified one. Just imagine it 1" shorter.

I suppose if I replaced the receiver extension w/ a carbine length standard style one, and the appropiate length screw, I could shorten the stock more dramatically, to any length between what it is now and as short as the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:20:11 PM EST
Pics, please.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:52:42 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:
Pics, please.
View Quote

sorry, I don't have any place to host pics. Just imagine the pic above w/ the butt being only about 1/2" behind the sling stud and a poor fit in the joint of the stock body and butt plate.

I will say, that the stock is very light in deed. just thin walled plastic. Maybe an ACE UL stock would b e lighter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:08:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2013 9:09:29 PM EST by Gamma762]
That's interesting. It'd never occurred to me that the Choate stock could be shortened easily, since the "hook" section maintains the buttplate size.

If you used an entry tube you could go to shorter lengths, would just have to make a spacer and a screw of the appropriate length.

Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
sorry, I don't have any place to host pics.
View Quote

http://tinypic.com/
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:21:48 PM EST

sorry, I don't have any place to host pics. Just imagine the pic above w/ the butt being only about 1/2" behind the sling stud and a poor fit in the joint of the stock body and butt plate.

I will say, that the stock is very light in deed. just thin walled plastic. Maybe an ACE UL stock would b e lighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:
Pics, please.

Thats like getting a playboy and having a fully clothed centerfold with a disclaimer that says " just imagine her naked"
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 11:56:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
That's interesting. It'd never occurred to me that the Choate stock could be shortened easily, since the "hook" section maintains the buttplate size.

If you used an entry tube you could go to shorter lengths, would just have to make a spacer and a screw of the appropriate length.

View All Quotes

wouldn't even need the spacer, just leave a void behidn the back of the carbine length receiver extension and get the correct length screw.

Please see the OP, yes, the butt size remains the same mostly, but the width of the stock does decrease the fartherforward you go which is why I had to file around the part of the butt that slips in to the stock body. Was a PIA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:06:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 11:08:34 AM EST by rightwingnut]

View All Quotes

Thx for that site. Feels great to put up pics

don't laugh at my sling positioning tape and my bubbafied cheek riser pad

It occurs to me, that the easier way to shorten the stock would be to remove a segment from the non tapered portion just behind the receiver. I mean to cut out a segment and then join the two pieces back together. Then I wouldn't have had to make love to the butt plate. Would have had to solder it back together and put some tape on it though.
Top Top