Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/1/2006 7:34:25 PM EDT
What is the shortest barrel you can get for a ar15 and were can i get it? Plus how do you know how long to make the gas tube?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:28:17 PM EDT
the shortest I have seen is 7 inches. DPMS/Panther arms makes it. The shortest I have built is 11.5 inches. that length works well.
Danomite
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:28:49 PM EDT
CMMG makes a really nice 7.5".. comes with the gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:51 PM EDT
Make sure you have a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:10:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 6:12:24 AM EDT by dabigbozman]

Originally Posted By jduck1987:
What is the shortest barrel you can get for a ar15 and were can i get it? Plus how do you know how long to make the gas tube?

I have a couple of these click here Make sure you have the tax stamp
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:55:55 AM EDT
What is the "Tax Stamp"?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:06:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jduck1987:
What is the "Tax Stamp"?

It's what keeps you from going to jail for having a rifle bbl that is less than 16 inches in length.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:59:15 AM EDT
The shortest barrel that you can own and install on an AR rifle or carbine (pistols are a separate matter) that does not have an ATF "tax stamp" must have a 16" permanent overall length.

This 16" can be accomplished several ways; the two most common ones are: (note: measurement is fom the face of a closed bolt to the end of the permanent portion of the barrel at the muzzle)

1. a carbine barrel over all length (OAL) that measures 16" (or usually slightly over) from the breach face to the crown; if threaded for a muzzle attachment, such attachment need not be permanently mounted (ie a standard 1/2x28 threaded and removable A2 flashhider)

and

2. a less than 16" OAL barrel that has a permanently attached device to the muzzle end to bring the total OAL to greater than 16" (ie an 11.5" barrel with a permanently attached 5.5" flash suppressor - XM-177 -or- a 14.5+" barrel with a permanently mounted Phantom or Vortex flashhider)

Both of the above use standard CAR-length gas tubes.

Any rifle or carbine with shorter than a 16" permanent OAL barrel is considered a "short barrel rifle" (SBR) under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and must be registered with the ATF prior to its construction. This registration is part of the US Tax Code, and included a $200 tax. Upon approval by the ATF, you recieve your paperwork back with the "tax stamp" affixed.

Quarterbore has spend much time and effort on creating an NFA SBR FAQ, located here: AR-15 • M16 - Full Auto • SBR FAQ (Page 1) , which contains an excellent PDF that tells you everything you ned to know: quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf

Note: a conviction for failure to follow the NFA (ie making an SBR without the "tax stamp") carries federal penalties of 5 to 10 years.

Also, welcome to the board.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:50:43 AM EDT

...carries federal penalties of 5 to 10 years.

Also, welcome to the board.

Cheers, Otto

...and up to $10,000...and you'll never own a firearm again (legally) in the US...

Wow.

jduck, read all you can about it, my friend. It's a lot to get into, from what I understand.

-JBot
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:06:24 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. But I am making a AR 15 pistol and you dont need a tax stamp for that do you? Do you need to do anything special to make a pistol legal?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:09:41 PM EDT
NO buttstock on a pistol - and NO forward grip

Check out the AR pistol forum - All the Info is there.

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=122
Top Top