Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 9:54:38 AM EDT
I just came back from the UPS customer counter and they told me that I couldn't ship ammo through them as a private individual.

Is this true? How have others shipped ammo to someone else? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No, that is not true.  However, just like most of the Department stores, most of the hired help is clueless.  It all depends on who is behind the counter at any given time.  Around here we are pretty gun friendly and so are the stores and UPS.  Kinda works that way.  You might try a UPS shipper (Staples, Mailbox Etc., etc.) they may be more apt to handle your package.

MM
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely not true.  Our UPS counter here in in the Bay Area, CA, will gladly accept ammo for shipment.  And we're talkin' about a very left-leaning area!  The UPS help they have behind your counter is misinformed.  Talk to the supervisor, and have him show where in his guide book that ammunition may not be shipped to private individuals.  People ship ammo daily on UPS and FedEx or other bonded carrier (not USPS).

There have been incidents posted here much like you describe, where an ARFCOM member has tried to ship ammunition and the counter clerk refused.  A quick chat with the supervisor usually closed out those issues.  In all cases, the said help received a good talking-to from the supervisor about not putting personal agendas into their well-documented profession.

I think their website (www.ups.com) also has a link on how to ship those kinds of goods.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did look up on UPS.COM and found an 800 number to call for questions on shipping hazardous material. That person did confirm that I can ship the ammo and to refer the counter people to the same number if I had problems w/ them.

Annoying that I had to waste a 40min trip.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the only restriction they have is that they won't air ship ammo.  (Which is why a lot of dealers won't ship to AK or HI.)   Since they don't air ship it you won't be able to send it 2nd Day, but ground shipping shouldn't be a problem.   I do like the other guys said and go back and talk to the depot supervisor.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Ammunition, like hair spray, has to go ground.  Marking required is "ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition".  

Ammunition is not hazardous and requires no HazMat.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
jnginma:

Must be something about Massachussetts UPS because a few yrs back I was having my brother ship me some ammo and the stupid goon @ at UPS counter in Uxbridge gave my brother such a sermon about being, ILLEGAL, etc. etc. to ship ammo.
So then my gullible, panicked bro goes home, throws my precious ammo in his basement and refuses to talk about it despite my telling him repeatedly it's all B.S.
If I want my ammo, I'll have to drive 3,200 miles to get it. Phuck!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top