Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:47:55 PM EDT
a buddy of mine just got back from fort lewis and he told me that they use shaving cream to clean their rifles. could this harm my rifle?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:53:29 PM EDT
I don't see why it would harm it. But why would would you want to use shaving cream? There are other options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:57:37 AM EDT
ya i know iwas just wondering. in case i ran out of clp or solvant. he claims that it work well and since hes in the army i think he would know what hes talking about
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:37 AM EDT
Yep for that close comfortable feeling M16. It just makes want to kiss your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:41:55 AM EDT
I wouldn't use shave cream to clean with. I've seen it take stuff off a rifle that is supposed to stay on the rifle. I've also given out Article 15s for using unapproved cleaning materials.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
what would it take off that solvant wouldnt do
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:30:13 PM EDT
isn't shaving cream mostly a bar of soap with more moisturizer? So it should be safe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:52:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NRose8989:
a buddy of mine just got back from fort lewis and he told me that they use shaving cream to clean their rifles. could this harm my rifle?

ASVAB scores must be dropping...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:16:19 PM EDT
ya i have to admit hes not the brightest person but im sure a serior nco or officer would say something about it but his whole unit uses shaving cream
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:17:52 PM EDT

ya i know iwas just wondering. in case i ran out of clp or solvant. he claims that it work well and since hes in the army i think he would know what hes talking about

lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:18:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By uncleelmer:
I wouldn't use shave cream to clean with. I've seen it take stuff off a rifle that is supposed to stay on the rifle. I've also given out Article 15s for using unapproved cleaning materials.[/quote]

I bet you are well liked........
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:21:03 PM EDT
I just checked and the shaving cream I use has water in it. I don't think you want to put water on your AR without oiling it afterwards......
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:36:37 AM EDT
This is good news because I've been using Break-Free to shave and I can probably use it to clean my rifle if I run out of shaving cream.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:40:18 AM EDT

I don't know about shaving cream, but how about Summer's Eve?

It should work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:04:32 PM EDT
I've always had a thing for my AR and that "Springtime Fresh" feeling myself
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:00:33 PM EDT
yes well atleast with shaving cream you wont lose as much brain cells and stink up the house
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:11:34 PM EDT
Because someone in the army says something it must be true? There are idiots everywhere you go in life, and frankly it's a toss up between fast food joints and the army.

Regardless, I wouldn't see what good a soap, alcohol and water-based foam solution (such as shaving cream) would be in cleaning and lubricating your weapon.

That is just stupid.

- rem

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 3:47:36 PM EDT by jollyroger]

Originally Posted By cj3441:
This is good news because I've been using Break-Free to shave and I can probably use it to clean my rifle if I run out of shaving cream.

That IS great news!!

Also remember that army guys have told me "not to shoot 55gr. ammo in a 1/7, it will blow up the barrel. And, AND, its not actually a 1/7, its a 1/7.7795"
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:40:26 AM EDT
Well, obviously shaving cream is not the best solution for rifle cleaning, but back when I was in infantry basic and we were on the final cleaning cycle after our last FTX, and there was not enough CLP to go around, we resorted to shaving cream to clean the receivers. I can tell you this, with a toothbrush and some hot water, that shaving cream did a remarkable job. I certainly wouldn't use it normally (I'm a CLP and Hoppes No. 9 man myself here in Iraq, with a Tuf-Cloth to help out) but it saved our asses when the Drill Sergeants were breathing down our necks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:44:30 AM EDT
Shaving Cream

By Benny Bell with Paul Wynn

I have a sad story to tell you
It may hurt your feelings a bit
Last night when I walked into my bathroom
I stepped in a big pile of

{Refrain}
Shaving cream, be nice and clean
Shave everyday and you'll always look keen

I think I'll break off with my girlfriend
Her antics are queer I'll admit
Each time I say, "Darling, I love you"
She tells me that I'm full of

{Refrain}

Our baby fell out of the window
You'd think that her head would be split
But good luck was with her that morning
She fell in a barrel of

{Refrain}

An old lady died in a bathtub
She died from a terrible fit
In order to fulfill her wishes
She was buried in six feet of

{Refrain}

When I was in France with the army
One day I looked into my kit
I thought I would find me a sandwich
But the darn thing was loaded with

{Refrain}

And now, folks, my story is ended
I think it is time I should quit
If any of you feel offended
Stick your head in a barrel of

{Refrain}
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:57:55 PM EDT
Many long years ago my brother came back from boot camp as one of the Few and the Proud. He had picked up some new ideas on how to properly clean a rifle (the USMC way) and was going to clean my rifles sometime.

Being good American boys, either one of us could fieldstrip any of our weapons blindfolded. So I didn’t see the harm in letting him clean my rifles, maybe the Marine Corps taught him a few new tricks… And they did.

My Ruger 10/22 was the only think he had a chance to clean and I’m thankful. He used some kind of detergent and water to wash the receiver out but didn’t remove the barrel. A couple weeks later I pulled the barrel and saw that the water and detergent had pitted the area where the barrel went into the receiver. Fortunately I caught it before the barrel suffered more than cosmetic damage. (A few minor pits and damaged finish on an area of the barrel that’s completely covered by the receiver is no big deal.)

The military looks at rifles as tools to use hard until they wear out or break. Then they get completely rebuilt or scrapped. I look at my rifles as heirlooms I want my grandkids to inherit. Shaving cream might be OK for the military but I ain’t putting it on my rifles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT by Unicorn]
Hot water and Tide with bleach is used by some, but it's not an allowed method. It and the shaving cream, and the Simple Green, and a few other things are methods that people have used to try and save time or labor.
A person can, as mentioned by uncleelmer, get into a lot of trouble by using such methods. You can get away with a real gun cleaner, or even car an brake cleaner, but most commanders, armorers, and the leadership in general at least frown on those methods.

remedy,
What the fuck is this supposed to mean?!?

frankly it's a toss up between fast food joints and the army.

Perhaps those like you, the cowardly pussies that are so much smarter and better than the ones that join the Army, should find some great way to educate these stupid people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:30:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By remedy:
There are idiots everywhere you go in life, and frankly it's a toss up between fast food joints and the army.

Gee, rem, with BSs in Physics and Computer Science and halfway through my grad work in international relations, I must just be another one of those Army idiots (infantry too, go figure...)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:03:06 AM EDT
I always use shaving cream to clean all my weapons. I foam up the whole reciever, bbl, b/bc with the shaving cream, then hose it off with water. For lube I splash on some old spice and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:47:47 PM EDT
obviously you never served a day in your life
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:48:39 PM EDT
talking about remedy
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:19:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cj3441:

Top Top