Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2002 6:29:28 AM EDT
Where can I get some mil-spec sealer to seal up some ammo I have laying around that I loaded?  I realize I can probably use a lacquer like Wolf does but I don't have the desire to deal with lacquer after it has been fired through my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
With such fair and metallic colors you have a particular dilemma.

Mary Kay nail enamel is an old standby, of course.

I'm usually not a Mary Kay fan, but I find their Sagewood enamel is one of the better colors for me.  Sometimes I just put a MAC label over the Mary Kay bottles and I feel better.

A bit more pricey, but designed for redheads, try JFR (Just for Redheads) Cafe-Latte nail enamel.  It goes well with coppertops so that very tough color split of Copper FMJ over brushed Brass is complimented.  It's also got a great chip resistant formula (and they don't test on animals).

No one will make fun of your sealant color again when you're at the range loading- and you won't have to cope with that ugly brownish-black stuff.

You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
With such fair and metallic colors you have a particular dilemma.

Mary Kay nail enamel is an old standby, of course.

I'm usually not a Mary Kay fan, but I find their Sagewood enamel is one of the better colors for me.  Sometimes I just put a MAC label over the Mary Kay bottles and I feel better.

A bit more pricey, but designed for redheads, try JFR (Just for Redheads) Cafe-Latte nail enamel.  It goes well with coppertops so that very tough color split of Copper FMJ over brushed Brass is complimented.  It's also got a great chip resistant formula (and they don't test on animals).

No one will make fun of your sealant color again when you're at the range loading- and you won't have to cope with that ugly brownish-black stuff.

You'll thank me later.

Is this nail enamel going to gunk up my starchamber and bolt?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO you CAN NOT effectively seal loaded ammo!

The only true way to seal the case neck is IN THE CASE NECK.

You will be wasting time and effort by putting Avon on your ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IMO you CAN NOT effectively seal loaded ammo!

The only true way to seal the case neck is IN THE CASE NECK.

You will be wasting time and effort by putting Avon on your ammo.

Ok.  How can i seal my next batch of homemade SHTF ammo before i load the bullet into the casing?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know!

If thought of doing the same, but it would be too teadious and messy!

I just store Q3131A and Xm193.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know!

im willing to get messy for the price of home made TAP ammo (A-Max loaded in LC cases) vs what the market is charging for a box of factory Loaded TAP
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

im willing to get messy for the price of home made TAP ammo (A-Max loaded in LC cases) vs what the market is charging for a box of factory Loaded TAP

Thin a small amount of roofing tar with some acetone. Apply it to the inside of the case necks with a Q-Tip after you have seated the powder.

Give it a little time to get tacky, then seat the bullet.

Just be aware though, it is a real PITA!

-

Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know!

Also, AMAX in 5.56 is not a great round.  The good TAP (75 grain) uses Open Tip Boat Tail match rounds, not AMAX.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I only loaded up 20 rounds of the 52 grain Amax just for load testing right now to see where I need to make adjustments.  The bulk of the AMAX I would be loading would be 155gr for my M1A.  I also plan on testing the 168 grain against the 155 grain to see which works better.  I figured the Amax would work better than the q313a or regular FMJ rounds in certain situations where penetration isn't needed so I would load a bunch to keep on hand.  Sealing probably isn't necessary as I keep my basement DRY and store all ammo in 50 cal cans with desi packs but who knows if all that changes in an instant.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI
Lacquer thinner is penetrating and I've heard
- from a friend of a friend of a friend  (read may be total bs)
That it will sometimes inert your primers.

I had thought about doing this but...

My current solution is to store loaded mags in dry bags. (clumsy rig)

Please let us know how your experiment turns out.

You might also think about using combined technology projectiles. (check out www.powdervalleyinc.com/)

--edit link
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, if one doesn't think that sealing after loading works, how about just sealing up the entire loaded pack of ammo?

I'm talking about putting them on stripper clips and then vacuum sealing the strippers in those food bags.  Assuming that you have one of those vacuum sealers.  I hear they're nice.  Know some people who did that to their AR's..... (they only need one to play with).

Not sure if this has been discussed before....
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I only loaded up 20 rounds of the 52 grain Amax just for load testing right now to see where I need to make adjustments.  The bulk of the AMAX I would be loading would be 155gr for my M1A.  I also plan on testing the 168 grain against the 155 grain to see which works better.  I figured the Amax would work better than the q313a or regular FMJ rounds in certain situations where penetration isn't needed so I would load a bunch to keep on hand.  Sealing probably isn't necessary as I keep my basement DRY and store all ammo in 50 cal cans with desi packs but who knows if all that changes in an instant.

155 grain AMAX is outstanding.  I think it's the best widely available 7.62 round out there.  168 less so, but still a good round.

AMAX in 5.56 is a disappointment.  I'd avoid it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, if one doesn't think that sealing after loading works, how about just sealing up the entire loaded pack of ammo?

I'm talking about putting them on stripper clips and then vacuum sealing the strippers in those food bags.  Assuming that you have one of those vacuum sealers.  I hear they're nice.  Know some people who did that to their AR's..... (they only need one to play with).

Not sure if this has been discussed before....

Q. My wife just got one of those uber-cool vacuum food packers. I was thinking of sneaking into the kitchen and vacuum sealing all my ammo when she goes to watch the kids play soccer this weekend. What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the link tatjana.  Just book marked the page (since I lost my book marks last month due to a system break down...)

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top