Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 8:23:22 PM EST
I want to use some primer/bullet sealant on some ammo that I want to keep for long storage and SHTF. Can I use this stuff on already manufactured ammo or is this stuff only for reloads? I want to seal the primer and bullet at the case neck, will this effect the bullets reliability or accuracy. Is their any do's and don'ts that I should know, like can I completely cover the primer with sealant? What sealant do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:33:33 PM EST
When this has came up before the basic answer was don't bother. but if you insist clear finger nail polish at the primer, just a dab in the crease around the edge. If you seal the primer you are keeping it from fouling, at the bullet end it would take a lot of leakage to cause a bad round.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:43:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By cckw:
When this has came up before the basic answer was don't bother. but if you insist clear finger nail polish at the primer, just a dab in the crease around the edge. If you seal the primer you are keeping it from fouling, at the bullet end it would take a lot of leakage to cause a bad round.

I'm just worried about moisture, do you think the ammo would be ok with long term storage and shooting outside in the rain without sealant? I don't want to sound ignorant but it seems I'm always reading something about moisture causing bullet malfunctions.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:26:35 PM EST
You could store it ten years then leave it underwater an hour without sealant and it would be fine. Be more concerned with a penetrating oil getting into the primer and dectivating it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:56:51 AM EST
I tried this once with some handgun ammo and some model paint enamel.Never do that again.hotFreakin' red paint shit everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:24:52 AM EST
I tested a 9mm 124gr fmj That I reloaded on my Dillon
I used NO SEALANT
I put the round into a glass of water over nite
went bang the next day!

Ive used George&Roys Custom primmer sealant Its Blue ish color
I bought it in 94 and still have it

The pistol ammo I loaded back in 94 LOOKS BRAND NEW

Pack it in a AMMO CANS and NEVER open until you need it
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:12:47 AM EST
Why bother? Pack your ammo in GI Cans, add some silicia packs and your good to go. Anything other than that seems like a waste of time and money
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:45:47 AM EST
We pheasant hunt in the rain and shotgun shells don't have sealer. All day getting rained on then hauled home in a wadded up wet vest, never a problem.

I personally prefer to have my SHTF ammo with sealed primers, but from the factory, I don't want to improvise it.

Military ammo has sealer because there is no telling what might happen to it before it is used.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:11:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2007 11:11:44 AM EST by Parrandero]
Originally Posted By DevL:
You could store it ten years then leave it underwater an hour without sealant and it would be fine. Be more concerned with a penetrating oil getting into the primer and dectivating it.

Just don't bump fire it underwater.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:21:20 AM EST
Ask this on the reloading thread. I have good way to do it that was in Handloader Mag in 1988 and is still good advice. But, I have a way of telling Trolls to f---- Off so Bagdad Bob deleted the thread but IMed me that he stored the information. It works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:25:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By threefeathers:
Ask this on the reloading thread. I have good way to do it that was in Handloader Mag in 1988 and is still good advice. But, I have a way of telling Trolls to f---- Off so Bagdad Bob deleted the thread but IMed me that he stored the information. It works.

So what's the good advice you are talking about?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:33:44 PM EST
Go to the reloading forum and post the question. I want to see if Bagdad Bob will answer, if not, I'll post.
Top Top