Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2007 9:23:22 PM EDT
I want to use some primer/bullet sealant on some ammo that I want to keep for long storage and SHTF. Can I use this stuff on already manufactured ammo or is this stuff only for reloads?  I want to seal the primer and bullet at the case neck, will this effect the bullets reliability or accuracy. Is their any do's and don'ts that I should know, like can I completely cover the primer with sealant? What sealant do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
When this has came up before the basic answer was don't bother. but if you insist clear finger nail polish at the primer, just a dab in the crease around the edge.  If you seal the primer you are keeping it from fouling, at the bullet end it would take a lot of leakage to cause a bad round.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When this has came up before the basic answer was don't bother. but if you insist clear finger nail polish at the primer, just a dab in the crease around the edge.  If you seal the primer you are keeping it from fouling, at the bullet end it would take a lot of leakage to cause a bad round.

I'm just worried about moisture, do you think the ammo would be ok with long term storage and shooting outside in the rain without sealant? I don't want to sound ignorant but it seems I'm always reading something about moisture causing bullet malfunctions.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You could store it ten years then leave it underwater an hour without sealant and it would be fine.  Be more concerned with a penetrating oil getting into the primer and dectivating it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried this once with some handgun ammo and some model paint enamel.Never do that again.hotFreakin' red paint shit everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I tested a 9mm 124gr fmj That I reloaded on my Dillon
I used NO SEALANT
I put the round into a glass of water over nite
went bang the next day!

Ive used George&Roys  Custom primmer sealant Its Blue ish color
I bought it in 94 and still have it

The pistol ammo I loaded back in 94 LOOKS BRAND NEW

Pack it in a AMMO CANS and NEVER open until you need it
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Why bother? Pack your ammo in GI Cans, add some silicia packs and your good to go. Anything other than that seems like a waste of time and money
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
We pheasant hunt in the rain and shotgun shells don't have sealer. All day getting rained on then hauled home in a wadded up wet vest, never a problem.

I personally prefer to have my SHTF ammo with sealed primers, but from the factory, I don't want to improvise it.

Military ammo has sealer because there is no telling what might happen to it before it is used.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You could store it ten years then leave it underwater an hour without sealant and it would be fine.  Be more concerned with a penetrating oil getting into the primer and dectivating it.

Just don't bump fire it underwater.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask this on the reloading thread.  I have good way to do it that was in Handloader Mag in 1988 and is still good advice.  But, I have a way of telling Trolls to f---- Off so Bagdad Bob deleted the thread but IMed me that he stored the information.  It works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ask this on the reloading thread.  I have good way to do it that was in Handloader Mag in 1988 and is still good advice.  But, I have a way of telling Trolls to f---- Off so Bagdad Bob deleted the thread but IMed me that he stored the information.  It works.

So what's the good advice you are talking about?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to the reloading forum and post the question.  I want to see if Bagdad Bob will answer, if not, I'll post.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top