Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2003 8:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2003 8:03:12 PM EDT by 223kid]
i ran this question by on the maintenence forum, but i figured i might have more luck here.. i just got a brand new DCM competition lower from bushmaster, and it's a little scratched up around the pins on the right side of the receiver. i tried applying a little bit of black sharpie and rubbing it in, as someone suggested, but it just gave me a shiny patch that looked even worse than the scratches. does anyone know a product or DIY method that will effectively blend scratches into the anodizing? i know it's not a big deal, and i know AR's are meant to take a beating, but because it's brand new and it cost me 489 bucks out the door, it kinda rubs me the wrong way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:58:46 PM EDT
Try Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black, dampen a qtip with it, apply and itll blacken up your marks perfectly. Just follow the directions on the bottle. I think it comes out much better than a sharpie and does not dimensionally chance the surface (like touch up paint does). Pretty much permanent too, especially in the areas your talking about.. John
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:00:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2003 9:15:40 PM EDT by 223kid]
okay, i think i'll head out to dick's and see if i can pick up a bottle tomorrow. i was just a little worried that the birchwood casey stuff was just a 6 dollar sharpie.. actually, i just looked, and dick's only has "super black", in gloss black & flat black. does the aluma-black work noticably better, or will flat black do the trick? sorry for so many questions, i just don't want to buy the wrong stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:24:37 PM EDT
Dont get the super black it freakin sucks ass. Its nothing but a paint filled sharpie and the paint wont even hold up to CLP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:23:53 PM EDT
Exactly correct, dont get the paint pen! Get the bottle of Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Its in a 3oz. blue bottle. I just touched up a few small marks on Bushmaster lower I just bought. Cant see the marks at all, I cant even remember where they were. Itll handle CLP, FP10, pretty much whatever you use... John
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:39:31 PM EDT
Maybe I'm the only one.. I think scratches add character. What's a gun without wabi anyways? I'm suspicious of owner's whose guns look too new.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:40:42 PM EDT
excellent, i feel better already [:)] thanks a lot for the info guys
Top Top