Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/19/2003 5:44:19 PM EDT
Hey guy's.If i scratched the bore of my m4,i,am screwed,right.I think their is a scratch on the bore .I,am hopeing i,am seeing thing's.While i was runing the rod up the bore ,it bent.I thought the patch was to big,so i pushed and bent it.When i pulled the rod back, i felt it stick.(OH F**K).I suppose i wount know untill i hit the range and i start shooting shotgun pattren's.Which,when i think about it will not be any worst than i shoot now.YEA.It hurt's my very expensive toy is F***ing broke.G-DAMM IT.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:04:42 PM EDT
That sucks to hear. I keep myself from doing this sort of thing by purchasing a single piece stainless cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:17:51 PM EDT
Stop being an obsesive geek, and get on with your life! Shoot more, whine less! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:23:14 PM EDT
If the rod was aluminum and the jag was plastic or brass, I don't think I'd worry right now, especially if you think you just [i]scratched[/i] it. Go shoot it and see what happens. The crown is one of the most important areas as that's the last rifling the bullet touches, (you don't want that area damaged), and I think you would have to have [i]gouged[/i] the inside of the barrel to hurt it that much.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:30:07 PM EDT
Just to add to my previous post, I have more than a few "ancient" Mil-Surp rifles, some with really pitted/ugly bores, and they still shoot great...worry less, shoot more! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:29:07 PM EDT
If your rod was made of a softer material than the barrel it shouldn't scratch it. You might have left residue of the rod or tip and it looks like a scratch. If it is a scratch and isn't too long in the middle it shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:39:23 PM EDT
You know, I have a funny story. I was cleaning my AR's one night after a day of shooing. I cleaned them all up and was inspecting a bore. what did I see? A HUGE Scratch in the chamber!! I freaked out, almost cried. Then I thought well I'll run a patch down it again just for the hell of it. Turned out to be a hair in the bore. Go figure I panicked for nothing. Bottom line is, you probably didn't scratch it, it might just but a string from the patch or something.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:14:54 AM EDT
I don't know if this is what you are experiencing or not but here is my observation. My 20" Bushy when I looked through the bore from the muzzle I could see this spot, scratch, scuff something. Later I figured out that it is the hole for the gas port and at the angle I was looking from it appeared to be a nasty in the bore. Consequently there is a similar spot in my Bushy M4's bore.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:31:36 AM EDT
Thats why I use a bore snake.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:21:37 AM EDT
Get a soft coated rod, and use plastic jags, or heck, get an Otis pull through kit. if there's some minor marking inside the bore, I wouldn't worry too much. It's the muzzle and crown that's the most important.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:22:47 PM EDT
Thanx gent's.Your comment's are very reassureing.Hey russ,F**K YOU.DAphotoguy.It was a one peice,wal-mart cheat P.O.S.You get what you pay for.M4 aiming_at_you.That's me alright.I plain panicked.When you grow up in a war,you tend to WORRY alot,or WHINE a bit to much,but that's JUST me.THANX ALOT guy's .I realy do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:00:36 PM EDT
If its chromed, you surely did not damage it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:27:18 PM EDT
clean your bore military style and you'll never have that concern again. It's a little more teadious, but my rifles are worth it.
Top Top