BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:09:33 PM EDT
What do ya'll use for touching up light surface scratches and rubs on your ar's? I have a bushmaster16" carbine and would like to color match as close as possible. Anybody use any of the air cure aluma -hide products?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
try some clp first. It could be that what ever your gun rubbed against, only rubbed off on your gun, and didn't actually scratch it. I had a few on my that came right off.
Aside from that I can't help you.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
IBT"Tools"
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wipe it down with a oil rag and let it be.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
When mine gets scratched I usually strip her all down and send it off for reanodization.  Its kinda pricey but damn my rifle looks nice!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When mine gets scratched I usually strip her all down and send it off for reanodization.  Its kinda pricey but damn my rifle looks nice!

are you serious? doesnt that get kinda expensive? why not just buy new rifles or parts, or keep spares in the safe so they dont get scratches?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh that's rich!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
try using aluma black.  Covers up the scratch nicely but if it's deep the scratch still shows but is black in color now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Krylon bbq paint, it's cheap and hides everything!
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.  Works well for small touch up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#10]
More scratches.  You'll never notice that scratch when you get a bunch more.

I call it 'scratch-0-flage'.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I use vagisil, clears it right up....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
You can try a Birchwood Casey touch up pen, just don't glob it on, you can always add more later, but putting to much on is a mess. Let it dry overnite, then decide if you need more. I think they sell them at home depot in the furniture finishes section, FLAT black. You should probably try a bit in your mag. well first to make sure the color tone matces.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Aluminum Black from Birchwood Casey works great on light scratches. If Aluminum Black doesn't work, maybe one of these products will help...Scratch cover ups
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
69 baby!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What do ya'll use for touching up light surface scratches?

I don't...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry I dont know what came over me...  I say scratches add character! Leave them alone!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Where are you guys buying aluma black from?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

no crap, I personally use a shop vac to get the sand out of my vagina.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Someday there will be a spa where you can get a facial, a manicure and your AR touched up

I predict the trend will start in fucking California.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Someday there will be a spa where you can get a facial, a manicure and your AR touched up

what kind of facial?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Scratches = character.  

Leave them alone.

- BG

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what kind of facial?

The kind you learned to like in county.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone here said it best, when you get a scratch, throw your AR15 in a gravel pit and then you wont care anymore
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Someone's gonna need a bucket of AlumaBlack®!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What do you use to take up the play in the enormous trigger/hammer pin holes you problably have from all that anodizing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Real guns are scratched.  Nothing screams "internet commando" quite like a safe queen range gun in pristine condition.

I love these threads!  "I have a scratch on the inside of my upper, right where the charging handle rides.... will this affect performance?  How do I touch it up?"

BWAHAHAHA  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what kind of facial?

Thank you two very little...

<-- wipes coffee off the screen
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#29]
It's not a scratch, it's a scar.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you use to take up the play in the enormous trigger/hammer pin holes you problably have from all that anodizing?

Eventually I'll be able to use Colt size trigger/hammer pins.  
.................and if you didn't know, My original post was a joke.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Real guns are scratched.  Nothing screams "internet commando" quite like a safe queen range gun in pristine condition.

I am not an internet commando, I spent a ridiculous amt of money on my RR.. If I scratch it.. I WILL be pissed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not an internet commando, I spent a ridiculous amt of money on my RR.. If I scratch it.. I WILL be pissed.

I spent a ridiculous amount of money on my truck and it has its fair share of scratches.  My truck is a tool that is designed to be beat on and used hard, same as my AR.  If my AR gets a scratch, ohwell.  Does that affect it's function? Nope.  

Yes you can try and keep your tools in prestine conditions as possible, but it's not possible to keep them in perfect condition if you actually use them.  

You ever take a look at high dollar precision tools?  Are they flawless?  My guess would be no.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I would have to recommend a local favorite technique for dealing with such a precarious situation as scratches...
ManPons (soon to be a registered TM).

A ManPon will soak up any menstral fluids that guys who worry about such things might be leaking.

I second the Shop Vac idea as well.  I hear that some regions of the body do fill with sand quite often, and that nothing beats a good old Shop Vac when you need a quick fix.

I motion that we make Lumpy the leader of a new, soon to be created, Anti AR Touching Up at the Spa Unit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Scratch on my AR's=Aluminum Black from Birchwood Casey
Scratch on my AK's=Black Sharpie
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spent a ridiculous amount of money on my truck and it has its fair share of scratches.  My truck is a tool that is designed to be beat on and used hard, same as my AR.  If my AR gets a scratch, ohwell.  Does that affect it's function? Nope.  

Yes you can try and keep your tools in prestine conditions as possible, but it's not possible to keep them in perfect condition if you actually use them.  

You ever take a look at high dollar precision tools?  Are they flawless?  My guess would be no.  

I scratch my M16.. I am pissed... A transferrable isnt a tool.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Thats where some of us differ.  They are all tools, nothing more.  I wouldn't expect anyone to take their AR out and mangle it for no reason, but I wouldn't want to work along side someone who was afraid to scratch or harm their weapon.

gmtmaster-  You've posted several times about your RR, and I can understand its value.  Don't you have a dedficated training weapon as well?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I love these threads!  "I have a scratch on the inside of my upper, right where the charging handle rides.... will this affect performance?  How do I touch it up?"

BWAHAHAHA  hr

I agree BUT,  these guns are expensive and some people like to take care of there property for various reasons.  Maybe you hit financial hard times and have to sell(God Forbid) your rifle, the resale value could be affected by the scratches...

To each his own...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#38]
If you are that worried about resale value that much, don't buy one.  Its not a cheap "hobby".

Most scratched up receivers are easily cleaned up, and very seldom are the scratches through the anodizing.  What many pepole are crying over comes off with elbow grease if the owner is that concerened.

These threads come up roughly every 7-10 days.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#39]
No safe queens here. Scratches make my rifle look "cool".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thats where some of us differ.  They are all tools, nothing more.  I wouldn't expect anyone to take their AR out and mangle it for no reason, but I wouldn't want to work along side someone who was afraid to scratch or harm their weapon.

gmtmaster-  You've posted several times about your RR, and I can understand its value.  Don't you have a dedficated training weapon as well?

Yes..Oly 11.5" x 5.5" , BM with a CMMG 14.7" M4 and 4pos stock ( my favorite) and a std. fare 20" A2 govt profile.

Excuse the multiple posts about my RR.. It is my holy grail anfd Im proud of it..I like to chime in on these "scratched it" threads as there is always a "Safe Queen" comment or 2..They are tools for some, throw it in the back of the pick up truck types, but Id venture to say that most are very concerned about their weapons care.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No safe queens here. Scratches make my rifle look "cool".

+1, Mine toohug.gif
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#42]
that alumablack works pretty well...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Obviously no one clicked on my scratch coverup link from the first page. Here it is again...
Scratch cover ups

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Obviously no one clicked on my scratch coverup link from the first page. Here it is again...
Scratch cover ups

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I hear these work wonders on the owners of scratched up AR15s.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd also like to vote for camo colors of krylon
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Sometimes the aluminum black does not get the part black enough to blend in.  I use a Birchwood Casey black touch up pen (flat black) and it works pretty good. Once it cures it is pretty tough.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I've used black Dykem to touch up scratches on AR15 parts, it works pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm gonna try to get the guts up to tie mine to the bumper of my truck and drag it down a dirt road.  I want it to look like this.  

Please don't volunteer.  I've gotta do it myself.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#50]
That Israeli shot is one of my fav AR pics ever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top