Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 9:45:43 AM EDT
I have heard this is a big no no, I have it is usually OK and I have heard there is absolutely no problem...all from this site.  So question is, what is the truth?  Can somebody back up their opinion with some kind of concrete data; because I have noticed that most "data" is rather just perpetuated hear-say...

TIA
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do it - no problem.  However, you will accelerate the wear of the bolt & locking lugs.  Check headspace with a USGI Field Gauge everytime you switch to ensure safety.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I posted this in another thread but figured I would ask here to since people where on the subject.

I am taking my barrel off my upper in order to thread it, do I need to check headspacing when I reassemble it? (Its a chrome lined Bushy Barrel if that matters.)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I raised this very question in an earlier thread because the  USMC  tech manual for the M16  warns repeatedly not to swap  bolts  from  one  rifle to  another or in this case  from one upper to another.  One of the members  who replied to my questions  cited an example of  perhaps moving the bolt from a  hi milage barrelel upper to a  low mileage barrled up  could cause head space  problems and  lead to a  KB.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Forest, where do I get a GI gauge?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am taking my barrel off my upper in order to thread it, do I need to check headspacing when I reassemble it? (Its a chrome lined Bushy Barrel if that matters.)

No you don't need to recheck headspace.  Headspace is determined by the barrle extension's interface to the bolt.  So as long as you are using the same bolt & barrel the headspace doesn't change.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Forest, where do I get a GI gauge?

I bought mine from Fulton Armory.  It comes in a foil pouch with a calibration card.

Not only is the GI gauge the proper size for the M16 chamber - but it doesn't require you disassemble the bolt (like the civilian gauges do).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top