Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:07:39 PM EDT
When I look down the muzzle of my h-bar, there is a definite jagged line running around the last 1/8"- 1/16" of the bore. Could this be the chrome lining coming off? It almost looks like a dental tool got loose in there. I thought that chrome line barrels where tough stuff. Is this what happens when the barrel wears out? I'm thinking about getting someone with a bore scope to check it out, but I'm interested in y'alls feedback on what this might be. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:34:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:13:32 PM EDT
Well, that's a good question. After a number of years using irons, I recently put optics on it and was fairly disappointed in how it performed. It shoots around 1.5 moa on 5 shot groups. Sometimes it shoots 1 MOA, but my buddy's BM cuts holes. I've tried every kind of ammo/bullets that I can find. I mean the thing says "Match, Competion, Target" on the side, and I figure that ought to be sub-moa all the time. Maybe I'm picky, but I expect my hunting rifles to shoot MOA. I guess whatever is going on in the muzzle, it has to effect the accuracy. In the end, I want a tack driving AR, and I don't have it now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:13 AM EDT
I'll be happy with a 1.5 or 1 grouping out of a chromelined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:35:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:54:07 AM EDT
My '95 MT6700 (Match Target Competition HBAR) does NOT have chrome lining. What you might be seeing is stubborn fouling, so a GOOD cleaning with a copper removing solvent may help. Sweets 7.62 works quite well.

If this IS a post ban rifle, having the barrel cut back slightly, then getting it threaded will remove the "problem area" of the rifling. I had a Savage barrel that shot quite well, which had very visible "reamer chatter marks" in the last couple of inches of the barrel. The rough areas would "copper foul" very badly, but accuracy was great! Having it cut back make me feel better, and reduced cleaning time/effort. HTH.

Paladin
Top Top