Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 4:29:43 PM EDT
I am a LEO who is a member of our SWAT team. Recently during training we were doing vehicle assault scenerios where we needed to break out the side windows. I remembered a training class where the instructor indicated that he had affixed a window punch to the end of his AR-15 to acomplish this task. Unfortunately when I tried it during the training the punch wasn't secure enough and it was not effective(Which is why I tried it during training!!) Does anyone know or have this type of configuration on their gun or know of a commercial type product available?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
An automatic center punch is the proper tool.  Works great, just push and it does the rest, no batteries required.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can invest in a Magpul M93A you may find the optional stricker plate up to the task.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmmm let my imagination run wild

I have a loaded gun and I need to break a window hmmmm wonder how I would break the window
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hmmmm let my imagination run wild

I have a loaded gun and I need to break a window hmmmm wonder how I would break the window

without lighting up the car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
there's a simple answer.....
1. jack a loaded cartridge out of the rifle(careful-watch where it goes)
2. pick it up and hold it against the window in question
3. take your handy-dandy ice pick and SMACK it against the primer

works for me everytime....

for you kids out there....i was just kidding-don't try this at home!

jake

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
seriously-doesn't someone make a badass punch on the end of a knife?  i used to see it in "smokey mountain knife" works all the time.  i wanna say it was "smith and wesson" that made the knife.  could be wrong though.  it was for guys like SWAT.  i think they had a "SWAT" series.  someone clarify me if i'm wrong.  it was spring loaded though.  

jake
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]

S&W makes a rescue balde that has a springloaded window punch on one end and a serated(spl?) blade witha blunt end.

AZ-K9 I would think that a two man approach would be better, one breaks and rakes the window. The second can shoot or pull the driver/passanger out if needed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Snap-on YA-805 Spring loaded center punch
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you're going to have two people, then one can use a billy club or crowbar to break the window while the other holds the rifle on the suspect.

-Troy

I agree that's why I said "break and rake" I understand that he's looking for an option for a window punch I was offering another
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Muzzle strikes on people are one thing, but muzzle strikes on a hard surface with a gun that has no active firing pin safety gives me the heeby geebies.

Get a spring loaded center punch from the hardware store...or beat on it with your ASP.

Aside from the previously stated...

9/10 Copkillers all have 1 thing in common when asked to re-create their scenario.  "Oppurtunity".
If the takedown was warranted, the need to "uncover" the threat w/ the muzzle of that AR's not a good idea.  Once covered, keep the threat that way untilthe threats been neutrallized.  Don't un-cover a threat, allowing any movement, esp. if the threats a f/st. pass. and you need a rear window open.
Use a punch, a light, an asp.  Anything but not that weapon.

/S2
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#14]
As a matter of fact ASP makes a spring loaded center puch that works.   It looks exactly like their mace pen the Key Defender.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top