Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:26:08 AM EDT
I have an ar-15 a2 will I be able to swap the reciever out into the a3 pistol kit from model 1 sales and if so what else would i need to complete the pistol? I plan on registering the reciever as a pistol reciever upon completion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:44:55 AM EDT
Once a rifle, always a rifle. You have to start with a non-built or pistol marked lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 10:55:21 AM EDT by StealthyBlagga]
The lower receiver is relatively cheap. Just buy a virgin lower (does not have to be specially papered as a "pistol" so long as it was never assembled as a rifle)... plenty of these around for $80 or so on the EE.

Your other option is to file a Form 1/$200 with BATFE to register your existing rifle as a Short Barrelled Rifle, then (once approved) you can slap that shorty upper on your existing lower. This is what I did, as the weapon shoots much better with a stock installed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:52:19 PM EDT
Do a little homework first. This question is answered in painful detail in the above tacked 31 page thread. I am not trying to be curt but if you read that thread you will have almost every question you can think of about doing a pistol build answered and you won't be asking questions that have been gone over about a hundred times.
As said, if the first build is a rifle it is a rifle and you cannot change it to a pistol no matter what. Either SBR it for $200 or spend $100 and get a virgin lower for the pistol build.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:14:30 PM EDT
I apologize for the repeat post but I searched these forums for a few hours and I wasn't finding the specifics only some threads that seemed like they were going to answer my question but then they went off topic and were vague. Again I apologize for the inconveinence of asking a question, I just wanted a direct answer. Thanks to the guys who replied, much appreciated.
Top Top