Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2006 4:08:41 PM EDT
Hi I got this chrome 16 carrier at a gunshow for $120. The seller wasn't sure who the maker was. After seeing the prices that vintage chrome carriers go for nowadays on the EE I was curious if i had scored a deal or not.

I've looked at all the guides above but how does one tell if a chrome carrier is retro Colt$ or not? Mine doesn't have any markings at all on it.
Thanks  
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
That's not a retro carrier, it looks like a regular 'ol DPMS carrier to me.

When I hear retro, I think "slickside"
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, looks like it has the late step behind the firing pin retainer hole.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's not a retro carrier, it looks like a regular 'ol DPMS carrier to me.

When I hear retro, I think "slickside"

Not all Colt chrome carriers are slickside.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yup, looks like it has the late step behind the firing pin retainer hole.

Some early Colt carriers also have this step.

The only way to tell if the carrier is Colt is by its "look"

If you have been around them enough, you can just get sense of what is Colt and what isn't.

The carrier in question is DPMS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know for sure that it's DPMS, but it's not Colt. Early Colt carriers, both chromed and parked, have a much larger right side hole for the firing pin retainer than the more recent types. The staking for the key on the early types was a single punch on the top; either square or round.  Also, the wrench socket holes in the top screws look like the current commercial size; not the size Colt uses.

But hey, it wasn't a bad price, and it'll look ok on an XM16E1 clone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't know for sure that it's DPMS, but it's not Colt. Early Colt carriers, both chromed and parked, have a much larger right side hole for the firing pin retainer than the more recent types.

That only applies to 603 and 604 carriers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys sure this is DPMS? My DPMS M16 carrier (and bolt) is marked with a "D" on the left side.

ETA: Although mine isnt chrome and is brand new..
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You guys sure this is DPMS? My DPMS M16 carrier (and bolt) is marked with a "D" on the left side.

I don't know but its not Colt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That one looks exactly like both my DPMS chrome carriers, including the fact it is a blued/parked key on a chromed carrier. The only difference is apprantely that one is not stamped 'D' on the left side.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I know this, I have one of each.

I know DPMS when I see DPMS!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess this DPMS will have to do untill I can find a Colt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
colt or not 120.00 is agood price for a crome b/c, any ways if is not broke dont fix it
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
alternative: silver or brushed stainless KG Gun Kote  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
just out of curiosity,

is there a letter stamped on the other side?????
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess this DPMS will have to do untill I can find a Colt.
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/curry2525/DSCF0001-1.jpg

As long as it works till the right one comes along........

Nice lower you have there........what is it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/curry2525/DSCF0001-1.jpg

As long as it works till the right one comes along........

Nice lower you have there........what is it?

thanks it's a sendra modified to xm specs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't know for sure that it's DPMS, but it's not Colt. Early Colt carriers, both chromed and parked, have a much larger right side hole for the firing pin retainer than the more recent types.

That only applies to 603 and 604 carriers.

If you mean early Air Force M16 for the smoothside, and XM16E1 for the notched, I assume you're right.

(Sorry, some of us just don't pay any attention to Colt's arcane numbering system. Guess it's useful for some of the very earliest simiexperimental types, but I just don't have the energy. I can give you the GI designations; and since the pieces used by the military, and those designations,are all I'm interested in, I'll leave the Colt numerical system up to you real experts.)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top