Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/10/2003 6:07:25 PM EDT
HI,

I posted this topic on the maintenance section, but wanted to make sure I can get more eyes to see the post.Anyway, I have the worst time getting the retaining pin back in, it is a pain in the ass. There must be something better?,is there an after market retaining pin that would make life a little easier?.I know I am not the only one to have this problem, it just seems to me there has to be a better pin or something out there?, and if anyone knows about this it will be here Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:24:28 PM EDT
Once you get it into the first hole, turn it so the part where it is folded is vertical. Push down on it a little as you slide it past the firing pin (this tilts the front up over the pin), and it should slide right into place.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:01:31 PM EDT
What Zardoz said may help you but this is what I have to do with mine to get it to slide right in. When I push mine through it doesn't line up on the other side, it's normally above the hole (Look underneath through the carrier and you can see what you're hanging on) So I just push up on it bringing the end down into the whole, it slides right in. Hope that helps
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:15:06 PM EDT
Usually, one side of the pin is a hair shorter than the other one... flip the bolt carrier upside down, and orient the short leg of the pin so it's on top as you look down on it. Even if the legs are even, this should work. Take something like the end of a swab (I use the ones that have the 6" wooden stick handle), and just push down a little on the retaining pin as you push from the side. It should slide right in. Once you get the feel of it, it should be second nature. The one in my Armalite got kinda bent after a few thousand rounds, and the legs seperated a little...it got to be a pain, so I just got another pin.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:18:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fenian: Take something like the end of a swab (I use the ones that have the 6" wooden stick handle), and just push down a little on the retaining pin as you push from the side. It should slide right in. Once you get the feel of it, it should be second nature.
View Quote
I do the same thing when I have to, but I use a small flat head screwdriver instead. The technique is right on. Use whatever works to push the pin in place.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:19:14 PM EDT
Just rotate it a bit back and forth while gently pushing it in. Should go right into place...........At least thats what she said! he he he! Seriously though!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:44:36 AM EDT
I use one of these.Much easier to take out and put back in.Might also break less often than the cotter pins. [img]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/231000005a.jpg[/img] [b]EARLY STYLE FIRING PIN RETAINER - Has the strength and appearance of the original machined, solid steel pin used on the first AR-15's. Heat treated for additional strength and greater resistance to bending. SPECS: Steel, silver, hard chrome finish. Fits AR-15 and M16.[/b]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:29:48 AM EDT
HI, REDBONE, where can I buy one of them from?,Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:42:36 AM EDT
HI, REDBONE, found the pin and have the code number, a kind gentleman give me the information on the maintenance section. I am going to order a few of them as they look stronger, and if they can save me the time and aggravation it will be worth it. Thanks gentlemen for your advice, I know that the people here would know how to solve this problem or any problem with a AR15.Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:07:04 AM EDT
My Colts pins slide right in as they did in the military. My RRA bolt is very difficult---I have to turn the BC over and work it in that way. Works fine if I do that. First pin also got bent as a result. PITA. Make sure you turn it vertical after you get it in to prevent this. Just got a Bushy and though not as bad as the RRA it is a little tougher than the Colts. I have 3 colt uppers and none have any such problem...at all! I have pretty much decided to stick with the colt uppers FWIW.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:24:18 AM EDT
I agree that the pin RRA uses is a low quality part. Mine broke after a "tussel" and I ordered a Colt pin from Brownells that slid right into place! The metal is a lot less maleable on the Colt pin which may prevent it from opening up, but it may also prevent you from closing it down. Double edged sword... B9
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:20:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kev50: HI, REDBONE, found the pin and have the code number, a kind gentleman give me the information on the maintenance section. I am going to order a few of them as they look stronger, and if they can save me the time and aggravation it will be worth it. Thanks gentlemen for your advice, I know that the people here would know how to solve this problem or any problem with a AR15.Thanks,Kev
View Quote
Ok, so where can you purchase it at???
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:22:13 AM EDT
Del-Ton has them on their website, but have been back-ordered for about 8 weeks now. Still waiting for mine...
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:23:56 PM EDT
HI, I ordered 4, from DPMS, EM-16 retaining pin, you can find them right here at the industry section. Kev
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:55:32 PM EDT
Try Brownells part number 231-000-029 at [url]www.brownells.com[/url]
Top Top