Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 6:17:38 PM EDT
I just bought a used Colt barrel to replace a heavy target barrel on my carry around rifle(too heavy for walking around with), anyway it is a colt barrel without a bayonet lug and I would like to replace the FSB with the real deal. Other than driving the pins out, it looks to be fairly simple to do but I can't find FSB's sold by themselves except for the ones with set screws or that have not been bored out. Do these need to be fitted to the individual barrel or what? Thanks, Monte.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
They need to be hand fitted, quite tedious.

Easier solution is to send the sight base to Curt's Custom and he can ssilversolder a new lug on for you.  He was advertising this for $35 plus freight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
is the hand fitting because of the variances in all the different barrels out there?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Pardon me for asking, but do you really intend to put on a bayonet?  

If not, why go to the trouble?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no standard as to where the pins are drilled and reamed for the taper pins, so the location WILL change from one barrel to another, even with barrels from the same manufacturer.  It is not an easy task, it requires special jigs to hold the barrel and FSB in the exact position and requires good drilling/milling equipment.  Improper installation will result in a canted FSB, if done badly enough, your rear sight will not have enough windage adjust to make up for it.

Alot of work to go through for a baynoet lug, which most will likley only use for photo ops.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Use set screws instead of taper pins. It's not spec, but it works.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

While that works just fine, you loose the rock hard durability of the taper pinned FSB for the cosmetic, and likley never used, bayonet lug.  I'd take the rock hard FSB any day over a cosmetic and basically useless feature any day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While that works just fine, you loose the rock hard durability of the taper pinned FSB for the cosmetic, and likley never used, bayonet lug.  I'd take the rock hard FSB any day over a cosmetic and basically useless feature any day.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Yankee Hill Machine makes real nice front sight bases.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, I just wanted one on there now cause I could have one, but it sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Let that lack of bayo lug serve as a reminder of freedoms temporarily lost.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get a FSB from Fultons that is drilled and tapped where the taper pins are, 2 set screws on each side, or you can get one that is not drilled and drill and tap it yourself, I also put one screw in the bottom where the base is drilled through for the gas port, so there is a total of 5 set screws holding it. This also allows you to adjust the windage so you can get a mechanical zero on the rear sight.\

DD
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top