Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 11:25:15 AM EDT
I'm trying ot figure out a way to get one off WITHOUT DAMAGING IT AT ALL.

I want to install a YHM FF tube on a 14.5 and the nice folks teaching me how to do it have told me I need to get the flash supressor off before I can do it.. Which does  make sense since you've got to get the front sight assm. off.

However, its' welded and phantoms are expensive. This not being my gun I don't want to be buying pieces for othe people. Especially since I'm not made out of money.

Is there a way to do it or am I just going ot have to suck it up and destroy an innocent piece?

If it can't be done, well no big deal I guess. Gotta learn somehow
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Is there a way to do it or am I just going ot have to suck it up and destroy an innocent piece?

there is always a way, But you will really need to look for the pin, and drill it out perfect, and then assuming that they did not use silver solder to weld it on also, you should be able to take it off...

That being said, I would just suck it up and cut off the Phantom. or if you want to spend even more $$ cut off the front sight and get a 2 pc system, ( But hey at least your phantom will still be around.)

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally speaking, they are pinned/setscrewed on the bottom.  Drill/mill in that area and see what you come up with.  If you pick the wrong spot, the Phantom is toast.  If you get it right, tap the hole for the next larger setscrew, install and weld over that.  Just like new.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Destroy the front site gas block with a Dremel, remove it, reinstall a two piece picatinny gas block unit. If you don't want the pic rail on the gas block, there's a low drag unit called Spectre.

Why cock around?

Doc @ M&A Parts
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top