Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2010 12:50:53 PM EDT
I need to remove the front site base from an a1 barrel to replace the barrel nut, I have the tools but cannot get the pins to budge(yes I know they are tapered and I am going the correct direction) do I need a bigger hammer?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What is this "I can't remove my FSB pins week" ... sorry OP it's just like the 5th-6th time this week this question has been asked
It really helps to have one of these

but if you don't the key is having a good support surface so the barrel is not bouncing and moving around. The punch should be an over sized one with a tapered end and pretty heavy duty like the one in the middle

your just using it to start the pins then you switch to the smaller pin size punch to drive them the rest of the way out. Also a good hammer ... not the one the wife uses to drive tacks in the wall for pictures I mean a REAL hammer like one of these.

Then give it a really good whack ... it your afraid your going to to hit your hand use vise grips to hold the punch in place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
yup I have the orande block, guess like I figured just need a bigger hammer , will try again tommorow thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
A cupped punch helps, but you really need a very solid table with no give at all. A 4” thick 4’x8’ cast steel table does wonders.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A solid bench vise works just as well, and some pb blaster used a day before.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM is reputed to have REALLY hard to budge taper pins.  They recommend using a LARGER than pin diameter punch first to get the pins started, then using one the appropriate size to push the pin the rest of the way out.  It won't hurt to apply penetrating oil and let the thing soak overnight before going at it with a punch and hammer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#6]
tried soaking it and a big punch and hand held sledge hammer no go
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Then you have two options.

1: Heat, and hit it harder.
2: Shop press.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then you have two options.

1: Heat, and hit it harder.
2: Shop press.

3rd option: Smaller diameter drill bit than taper pin, and 2 new taper pins. (ask me how I know)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#9]
it is an original retro type barrel and early site so I am trying not to damage it, was thinkin maybe grind the pins flush then beat em this way I have a level surface to use a punch on, the shop press was another thought, guess I will try some more
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top