Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 11:46:12 AM EDT
I have some build up of carbon on the tip of the bolt which I need to get off. Can I use the scraper that came with my otis kit to scrape it off or will I marr it? Breakfree isnt breaking it up unless I scape away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "tip of the bolt".  If you're talking about the rear of the bolt, then don't worry about.  Per Armalite, the carbon buildup on the bolt shoulder is self limiting and does not need to be removed.  If you're just anal about your rifle (as many of us are), I've had good luck with whatever my solvent of the day is and some good old fashioned elbow grease.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
As Red-Leg said, leave it.

I gave up scraping carbon probably 7k rounds ago.  Haven't had a single problem.

It's self limiting, it breaks off.  Clean it off and it just comes right back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
it's not suposed to be a problem... but i've seen some prety crudded up bolts and some people just aren't comfortable leaving it on there...

so if you feel that you gotta remove it, i reccomend slopping some "goop"-type lanolin-based hand cleaner on there and letting it sit overnight.

the deposits should be soft(er) and easy to remove the next day.

do NOT use a cleaner with pumice in it!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If you’re talking about the tail of the bolt, some folks use the mouth of an empty .30 brass rifle case (308, 7.62X39, etc.) as a scraper.

The curve is just about right and the brass shouldn’t hurt the bolt.  (It will leave brass smudges, though.)  

I like to square the case mouth with a file first just to sharpen the edge a bit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys. Ill have to give that a try with the .30 cal casing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Fine steel wool will have it shiny as new. Be sure clean out any wool strands when you're done.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just take the boltcarrier apart and clean it after each use, you shouldn't get carbon build up If you clean it every time.

You should clean the gun once a month, every time you touch the metal, or fire the weapon.

The one I see the most is people don't take their muzzle attachment off and clean the end of the barrel, so most barrels have a ton of carbon build up on the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Shooters Choice to soften it up, and then a brass toothbrush or bore brush to loosen it up.  If it is extremely stuck on, then I break out the dental picks.  

I am pretty anal about my rifle, but as the guys said here, it is self-limiting and will come off on its own.

As far as cleaning the muzzle in the gap between the FS or brake, be careful.  Several folks in the army advocated using a section of cleaning rod or something similar to scrape the carbon off the crown...however, that would damage the crown if not careful.  If you can remove your FS, then use a solvent and carefully wipe it off.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Slip 2000 makes a GAS PISTON PARTS CLEANER or CARBON CUTTER that desolves the carbon on contact. Its a water based product so you need to re-lube after using the cleaner but the next time I clean IT is even easier. cLEANS UP IN HALF THE TIME. If you email them and tell them what your using it on they will send you a free sample. Give it a try IT WORKS GREAT.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have a grinder, just use the wire wheel and this crud will buzz right off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually use a brass brush to clean built up carbon.  It usually works really good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Carb cleaner works awesome on that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
a 6 inch bench grinder with a wire wheel works the best.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]
To clarify - the carbon build up we're talking about is behind the gas rings on the bolt - correct?

I don't clean my rifles as much as I should and I get that build up on my bolt, but I guess it's self limiting - correct?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Do NOT use Oven-Off !!! Only a fool like me would do that.. oops, come to think of it, I did do that.  Bad mistake.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top