Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:09:49 AM EDT
I have seen a couple of threads where people report that some factory installed FHs (not pinned/welded) on RRA barrels have been a bear to remove.

A friend of mine wants to do this and has asked my help. I want to get this thing off with a minimum of stress to the barrel.

So what is the tool of choice for this operation? Table vise and strap wrench (that's what I'm thinking)?

My guess is that it can't possibly be all that difficult, just thought I'd see if anyone on ARFCOM has any input.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:28 AM EDT
A 3/4" wrench will fit the FH. If it's really tight, get a reciever block so you can hole the upper in a vice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
barrel vise under the handguards and wither multi tool of open end wrench

tha­t or the upper block would work too, imo your not gonna be or shouldnt be clamping down to the point where it would damage the barrel
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
If you need to brace it in a vise, make sure you wrap it with a few layers in a towel, then just turn it off with the wrench.

Its not a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:31:01 AM EDT
I used a 3/4 wrench and wrapped the nut with masking tape (did the same to the barrel) so I didn't scratch the finish (things are easier to sell that way).
Top Top