Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:09:49 AM EDT
I have seen a couple of threads where people report that some factory installed FHs (not pinned/welded) on RRA barrels have been a bear to remove.

A friend of mine wants to do this and has asked my help.  I want to get this thing off with a minimum of stress to the barrel.

So what is the tool of choice for this operation?  Table vise and strap wrench (that's what I'm thinking)?

My guess is that it can't possibly be all that difficult, just thought I'd see if anyone on ARFCOM has any input.

-Tx
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
A 3/4" wrench will fit the FH.  If it's really tight, get a reciever block so you can hole the upper in a vice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
barrel vise under the handguards and wither multi tool of open end wrench
that or the upper block would work too, imo your not gonna be or shouldnt be clamping down to the point where it would damage the barrel
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If you need to brace it in a vise, make sure you wrap it with a few layers in a towel, then just turn it off with the wrench.

Its not a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a 3/4 wrench and wrapped the nut with masking tape (did the same to the barrel) so I didn't scratch the finish (things are easier to sell that way).  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top