Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2006 4:53:50 AM EDT
Are EO techs reliable? durable for long term use? i have heard many negatives and have personally seen random on and off problems after shooting, leaking N and AA batteries? some mentioned about plexiglass plate flying off, etc. but its still looks like a good optic to buy since you don't have to buy a separate mount for it? whats your opinions and personal experiences? i don't know if problems i mentioned happened only w/ pre revision F, as i was not able to take note.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Sandbox tested.... Arf.com approved

Ive got a AA model. Rev.F. Never had any problems and its been mounted for about 6,000 rds. (ballpark). And this wasn't bench shooting
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are EO techs reliable? durable for long term use? i have heard many negatives and have personally seen random on and off problems after shooting, leaking N and AA batteries? some mentioned about plexiglass plate flying off, etc. but its still looks like a good optic to buy since you don't have to buy a separate mount for it? whats your opinions and personal experiences? i don't know if problems i mentioned happened only w/ pre revision F, as i was not able to take note.

I have had the model 551 (N-type batteries) and the 552 (AA batteries), both rev F, for several months now on 2 16 in M4 type Bushmasters. Although I have never had any problems at all, I have heard some in the forums discuss issues about their problems. I have put about 2000+ rounds thru each sight and they are deadly accurate, once zeroed, even at 100+ yards. They are tough as hell, as one of mine smashed onto a concrete floor and all I got was a tiny scuff, it still held the zero with no problem. Even in the rain, no big deal, but it helps to have a high quality cleaner and cloth to wipe the rain off. If you have a Model ar15a2 w/ the carry handle you will need a mount. I bought a Bennie Coolie (BC CAM) forward of the handle mount and it works excellent, for the ar15a2. On my flat top I put the 552 right on the rail and have full %100 co-witness, which I like, but many others like the lower one third set up. Currently I took the 552 off of one and put my Leupold 4-12x40 on, and of course glass like that is much tighter in groups. All in all, I am very satisfied with my 2 EOTechs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned 3 only my current one has given me any problems. Wandering 0 its a REV F but Eotech has the sight right now and I am sure they will make it right.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine and wish I had more of them.

I've had zero problems whatsoever except for a pair of alkaline AA's going tits up when I was out shooting at 0 degrees for a couple hours. It most likely wouldn't have happened with lithium AA's.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I've whupped up on my 512 with no ill effects, save the gouges and scratches.  Hell, I liked it so much, I just bought a twin.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Reliable enough for Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep it good and tight and you should have no problems.  I haven't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
from a post about a Pat Rogers course

EOTech sights had lots of problems. The eight SWAT guys with the DPMS guns also had EOTechs sights. When they were not fixing guns they were fixing sights. Dead batteries were common, and more surprising the operators had grown so used to the sight dying that they were not even surprised when it died. They just accepted it as part of the sight. A sight that just pukes, without warning and often, cannot be trusted. I am not sure if any of their sights lost their zero during the course, but that is also a common problem with the EOTech. That said the EOTech has great sight picture that is easy to use, if only it was more robust. Rogers has a unit that EOTech gave him to try out , is had died and before he could ship it back to the he dropped it, and it came back to life. This is not the reliability that we should be looking for.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11797
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one and have shot some matches and a carbine class with it. It's held up well so far, but I know of a few that have fallen off during hard use. Make sure to Loctite those threads when mounting. And not the red stuff either!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top