Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 11:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 2:02:46 PM EDT by machinehead]
Im looking to do a couple of 0% forgings up. iv looked into anodizing but i dont want to get a whole big production going. i already have a parkerizing setup and my wife thinks im cooking meth up. she wont let me use the kitchen anymore. i am also doing some retro ar's and need to do teh lighter grey. so what is everyone using. first off let me say that i have looked through the archives already but havent come up with a definnative answer. i know stickman used norells with excellent results.
i dont care if i have to bake it or not. thats something i can do in my heattreatment oven.
what airbrush are people using. ive looked at the paasche ones. there preaty reasonable and seem to be the standard in teh airbrush industry. i havent found out if i would need a single or double action one. there website sucks in my opinion for a manufactures site. i will be using it for mainly refinishing guns. no artsy type stuff.

so basicly what type of finish and airbrush are people using.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:51:43 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:26:03 PM EDT
machinehead,
I haven't refinished anything yet, but I have read quite a bit on the different spray finishes.

Among the bake on finishes, people seem pretty evenly split between Norrells Moly Resin and KG GunKote. When properly applied, I think you will get good results with either.

Lauer Duracoat is popular for finishes that you cures without baking.

I think any airbrush will work fine. A lot of people have reported good results from the cheap harbor freight air brushes. I have a Badger airbrush that cost me about $20 that I plan to use.

Check some of the AK boards on finish recommendations. A lot of AK builders refinsh their builds and most of the boards have a lot of good info. on people's experiences.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:13:42 PM EDT
I recommend a Paasche double action airbrush. What kind of a camo are you planning? If it is just a single color or so with no intricate details, a single action is fine. A double action airbrush allows you to control air AND paint so you can get better results. This was done by a double action airbrush (courtesy of M1 tactical)

You will also need an air source. I personally do not recommend can air. Get a compressor and you will be happy.

I personally would prefer Duracoat
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:26:19 PM EDT
I'm still using a basic cheap testors airbrush, and a smaller compressor. I've been happy, though I do wish I had a larger spray bottle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:28:25 PM EDT
I've used Norrell's, and a cheap Testors airbrush, to refinish several surplus mags with good results. Haven't tried anything with a gloss finish, but the flat finishes are easy to apply after the part has been preheated. Just apply light coats, and the Norrell's dries on contact with the hot metal (no runs).
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:59:44 PM EDT
I've been very happy with my DuraCoat applications so far. I use a IR "touch up" gravity feed HVLP spray gun. I bought it from Lowe's (about $50), I'd guess it only holds about 8oz. Ofcourse I got plent of shop air.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
Machinehead,

I used to work with Aluminum and other metals when working in an R&D shop. We did machine work for our prototypes. If you do a 0%, you are still going to want to anodize it because aluminum is a very soft metal. Your fire control pins will oval out if you don't. You will get wear real fast.

Anodizing makes the outer shell of the aluminum hard. It's kind of like heat treating steel only better for aluminum.

Here is a link to home anodizing.

www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml

If you don't want to attempt it, many finishing shops will anodize pretty cheap, if they are doing a batch. After getting it anodized, you can still finish with Norrels or whatever you choose.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:59:42 PM EDT
Tag to see what others have to say on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 11:49:20 AM EDT by scottryan]

Originally Posted By machinehead:
Im looking to do a couple of 0% forgings up. iv looked into anodizing but i dont want to get a whole big production going. i already have a parkerizing setup and my wife thinks im cooking meth up. she wont let me use the kitchen anymore. i am also doing some retro ar's and need to do teh lighter grey. so what is everyone using. first off let me say that i have looked through the archives already but havent come up with a definnative answer. i know stickman used norells with excellent results.
i dont care if i have to bake it or not. thats something i can do in my heattreatment oven.
what airbrush are people using. ive looked at the paasche ones. there preaty reasonable and seem to be the standard in teh airbrush industry. i havent found out if i would need a single or double action one. there website sucks in my opinion for a manufactures site. i will be using it for mainly refinishing guns. no artsy type stuff.

so basicly what type of finish and airbrush are people using.

You need to anodized it. These spray on coating are not a substitute for anodizing. The holes in your lower will wear out.

If you have the facilities to machine a forging, why can't you spend an aditional $75 for anodizing and have it done right?
Top Top