Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2002 11:30:54 AM EDT
Ok, here comes another bunch of questions from a new ar builder/shooter.  

I am trying to build an all purpose, light-weight, hard use rifle. No plans for optics ever.  It has to be as fool, break, damage proof and as lightweight as possible.

So, my questions are:

Quite a few people speak of the A1 reciever as being lighter and less damage prone than an A2.
Is this so? I know the visual differences, but have not been able to actually fondle an A1 before. What are the weight differences?

New ARGuy had a nice lightweight carbine he built. He mentioned a Colt carrier and bolt. How much lighter are these things than normal ones, where can I get them, and how will I know exactly what part, year made, whatever, to get?

The Hiperform handguards look way great. Will they handle a vert. foregrip under heavy use? They are also one piece. I have heard that this is not the most desirable due to shooting loose. Will a bit of red loctite solve this problem?

Sorry about the long post, but no search and no archives make digging for info difficult. if anyone has any links to this info, they would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Saltshaker
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
JP makes a light weight upper, 15 inch pencil barrel with flute. I seen one at my local gun shop, and that is one light upper.  JT have A1 uppers, so you might be able to have them make an barreled upper with the A1 receiver.

[img]http://webcats.net/store/graphics/00000001/shorty_tactical_kit.jpg[/img]

yes, A2 has all the sight adjustment on it that will be less durable then a A1 upper.  you are probably looking to build Diemaco C8, it is a A1 upper CAR with a light weight barrel.

[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8.gif[/img]

Colt carrier is lighter, because the rear bottom half is non-existed so someone can't use a lightning link with it.  so the weight loss is at that point.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/carrier.gif[/img]

if you look for light weight, just stick to the std CAR handguard, you can always mount a GG&G rail on the bottom and add the grip to it.

I am looking to build a semi light weight upper, I will be using the JT upper with M500 handguard, GG&G one piece rail and sight(Existing psrt), GG&G aimpoint mount, and an existing Aimpoint M-XD. this will go on a lower with Colt 4 position stock.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You have several conflicting priorities as extreme light weight and hard use do not go hand in hand.

Witness the Carbon15 carbine which is astoundingly lightweight and almost totally unreliable.

For hard use I'd stick with the military configuration and the M4 is as light as that's gonna get.  The M4 weighs 7.5 pounds with 30 rounds of M855 Ball and sling.  You can cut that weight by 5.2oz pound by using the fixed handle upper receiver making the fully loaded weight just over 7 pounds ready to go.

The M16A1 upper receiver is lighter still, but I ain't pulling the barrel to check it's weight tonight!

The SP1 upper is still lighter as it lacks forward assist, but you give up reliability without it.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That Diemeco C8 is just about Ideal. I would shave off the bayonet lug to save about an ounce, and install a Ashley express same plane rear aperture. Other than that, it's pefect.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Consider this: Colt/Bushmaster 16in.Ultralight
Barrel,Les Baer upper(no fwd.assist), Hesse
(yes Hesse,They don't make this part themselves)
Kevlar lower,Rock River two-stage trigger & internals(not lighter just top quality),
ACE ARFX skeleton buttstock. I have two of this
combo with the 511 model holosight and they
are very very handy/quick/balanced well.
Tot weight 7Lbs(including sight assy.)
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/hoosierdaddy/ultimate%20entry%20weapon.jpg[/img]

Here's my new run-n-gun CAR.  It's lying next to my Marlin 1894P w/ 16.25" bbl.  I just don't like red dots or flip up sights.  If I had an A-1 upper this would be the perfect project for it.  Although, I'm not sure an A-1 weighs enough less to make a noticable difference.

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI the A1 upper is 0.1 lbs lighter than the A2 upper.  The A2 upper is 0.5 lbs lighter than a Flattop upper with detachable carry handle (as Chuck pointed out).
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't EVER use Loctite on an part of an AR.  It's unnecessary and you will be sorry if you do.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If it will fit your requirement for rough use, to save weight, use a fixed-position collapsable stock on a postban gun (and a sliding stock on a preban, of course).

The best way to cut weight is with a lightweight 16" barrel without lug and f/s.

The difference in AR bolt weights is very little, but as someone else pointed out it's an ounce or two.

Get a good quality CAR handguard (Colt equivalent) if you want to mount a foregrip (I hate foregrips myself, because the position is not natural to me, and they catch on everything around, but lots of people seem to like them).

A1 sights, IMHO, are more damage resistant than A2's and cannot really get out of adjustment-when you adjust them they always stay there.

Good luck with your project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top