Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2016 1:07:28 PM EDT
I have a Silencerco Omega in jail now and plan on using it for most of my rifles. I have several 5.56 as well as a .270 .243 and .308.

One thing I am looking for is a caliber that is great suppressed. I have an SBR AR15 as well so I can use whatever lengths.

Like I mentioned I am looking for great suppression as well as decent hunting for varmint and plinking. I have been thinking about going .300 AAC but the price of ammo for this caliber has me looking into the possibility for other calibers. Another Im looking into is 9mm. I think shots would be out to 150 yards
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The .300 AAC is a good round, I use it for plinking and deer hunting, nice soft recoil and good power, but the best way if you are going to shoot one of them, is learn how to make the shells and reload.  Making shells is actually pretty easy, I make all of mine out of once shot 5.56 ammo that I run through a couple of my other guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The .300 AAC is a good round, I use it for plinking and deer hunting, nice soft recoil and good power, but the best way if you are going to shoot one of them, is learn how to make the shells and reload.  Making shells is actually pretty easy, I make all of mine out of once shot 5.56 ammo that I run through a couple of my other guns.
View Quote

Ya I have considered reloading it as well. I used to reload for 12ga, 40S&W and .45ACP
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
300 blk and reload
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Again, the .300 black is great for hunting coyotes at ranges under 300 yards, 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and they will go head over tail when you hit them!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing is if you want the more complete supression of a subsonic round 5.56 doesn't have much power left for hunting . The 300 is really where you should be looking if hunting is your thing .

45acp is another way to go as the larger factory bullets are subsonic to start with
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have noticeable first round pop when using my Omega on a subsonic 300blk. Just throwing that out there so you're not surprised.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have noticeable first round pop when using my Omega on a subsonic 300blk. Just throwing that out there so you're not surprised.
View Quote

You mean the first round is louder than the followups?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for 300blk
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If you reload, take a look at the 338 Spectre
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Natural occurrence, will happen with any caliber, any gun, etc. when there is air in the suppressor before the first shot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you want supersonic suppressed, or subsonic suppressed?

That's the first main question.

Next question is what type of on-target performance do you want, and at what distances?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]
9 is cheaper but .thats where the fun stops. 300blk is better 6 ways from sunday.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If your omega is your only can then you won't be able to shoot 9mm suppressed.   I use an Omega with 300blk and it's a blast.  Subs are really quiet and supers are great for deer wit the right bullets.  I got into reloading for 308 and 300blk.   It's easy and will save you lots of cash in the long run.  Just learn to make the brass from .223 cases.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well I am looking for lowest decibels when shooting suppressed so Id imagine itd be subsonic

Next question is what type of on-target performance do you want, and at what distances?
View Quote

Maximum on-target performance (not quite sure what you mean, accuracy or stopping power? Id say the max distance would be sub 250 yards
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#15]
All of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd suggest either 300blk or 338 spectre. Both were built for the AR platform, both suppress exceptionally well and both are readily available. The only edge I would give would be to the 300blk as you can find ammo at places like Walmart and unless you reload, cost is quite a bit lower.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
300 blk and reload
View Quote

+1 reload 220 gr sierre matchkings and 208 gr hornady are the best for suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maximum on-target performance (not quite sure what you mean, accuracy or stopping power? Id say the max distance would be sub 250 yards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I am looking for lowest decibels when shooting suppressed so Id imagine itd be subsonic

not trying to be a jackass but I think you need to do more research on hunting with subs . 250 yds is definatly not a reasonable distance with subs try under 100 yds and learn to reload . I prefer outlaw state bullets for hunting others like lehigh . your going to launch a bullet in the 200-225 grain weight at somewhere in the area of 1000 fps . zeroed at 100 yds I have to hold over or dial in 34 inches of drop at 200 yds . I have killed several deer with sub-sonic ammo and with the right bullet and shot placement they drop like a sack of potato's . super sonic 200 yds is doable with a 16 inch carbine for deer coyotes and ground hogs a bit farther out . Im not trying to discourage you Im just trying to make you understand a more realistic scenario .  I use 3 different blackouts an 8.5 inch  , 16 inch carbine and a remington 700 aac . feel free to ask any question you like about the blackout and I will do my best to answer . you might also check over at 300blacktalk . read the hunting pages .. good luck and Im sure you will have fun with a blackout especially if you reload .
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Well shooting suppressed and subsonic I will only be hitting very small game at longer distances. I'd think the max shot would be about 150 yards and most of them within 75 yards.

Quoted:

not trying to be a jackass but I think you need to do more research on hunting with subs . 250 yds is definatly not a reasonable distance with subs try under 100 yds and learn to reload . I prefer outlaw state bullets for hunting others like lehigh . your going to launch a bullet in the 200-225 grain weight at somewhere in the area of 1000 fps . zeroed at 100 yds I have to hold over or dial in 34 inches of drop at 200 yds . I have killed several deer with sub-sonic ammo and with the right bullet and shot placement they drop like a sack of potato's . super sonic 200 yds is doable with a 16 inch carbine for deer coyotes and ground hogs a bit farther out . Im not trying to discourage you Im just trying to make you understand a more realistic scenario .  I use 3 different blackouts an 8.5 inch  , 16 inch carbine and a remington 700 aac . feel free to ask any question you like about the blackout and I will do my best to answer . you might also check over at 300blacktalk . read the hunting pages .. good luck and Im sure you will have fun with a blackout especially if you reload .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Silencerco Omega in jail now and plan on using it for most of my rifles. I have several 5.56 as well as a .270 .243 and .308.

One thing I am looking for is a caliber that is great suppressed. I have an SBR AR15 as well so I can use whatever lengths.

Like I mentioned I am looking for great suppression as well as decent hunting for varmint and plinking. I have been thinking about going .300 AAC but the price of ammo for this caliber has me looking into the possibility for other calibers. Another Im looking into is 9mm. I think shots would be out to 150 yards
View Quote

Start reloading and work up a 300blk subsonic that works for you.  

Way easier than assembling an AR imho.  I reloaded long before I assembled my two ARs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#21]
300blk is your best bet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
300blk. I've witnessed the cheap remington umc supers take out a bull moose in Alaska.   It is quiet and effective.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Look at the .277 Wolverine
Mad Dog Weapon Systems
Mark just came out with a line of sub bullets for it.
The hunting ones look impressive

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#24]
300 blk. They work and are not hard on the ears with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I would go 300BLK.
I shoot the NOE 202 grain spritzer power coated cast bullets sub-sonic using 11.2 grains RE-7,
Was getting 1 inch at 100 yards today with my AAC 16 inch using a 3x spitfire.
The AAC barrels will shoot real well.
Mine does anyways.
Quiet,lots of fun and cheap.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#26]
If you have deep pockets, the 338 Spectre mentioned above provides better subsonic performance than the blackout because it can launch heavier bullets.  However the bullets alone cost as much as an entire blackout cartridge (around 80 cents apiece), it's almost a reloading-only proposition, and unless you're using a big, heavy 338-specific can, you have to use a 9mm can which won't suppress quite as well as the blackout with a 30 cal can.  

The blackout is realistically your best choice.  

As Yama mentioned, the 277 wolverine is also an interesting cartridge worth consideration.  Won't handle subs quite as heavy as the blackout so the subsonic performance isn't as good, but it's pretty close and handles a nice variety of supersonic pills.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top