Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:14:41 PM EDT
if a m-16 lower was demilled to atf specs could it be rebuilt into a semi receiver?  if it is cut to atf specs it would no longer be a gun, just a pile of parts.  so with those parts weld the sear hole up then reweld the parts back into a receiver.  sounds koser to me.  anyone else have an opinion?  i know the rule about once a MG always a MG.  once it is demilled it is no longer anything.  as long as the sear hole is welded when it is a pile of parts then put together it should be fine IMHO.  am i looking at life skewed?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a hunch but no, MKS was doing that exact thing with M14 receivers, they got a nice visit from the ATF and all those receivers had to be surrendered (in theory, I know for a fact of several that are still around)

I beleive their official position is "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun"  and they will not budge on it

sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in the mid-1980's I remember reading an article in one of the gun magazines about someone doing this. The article showed pictures of the de-milled receivers, showed each step how the receivers were rebuilt into semi-auto receivers. I don't remember the name of the magazine, just remember reading the article.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
MKS got boned for not getting their own approval letter  before they made their own reciever w/fake selectors & their welded halves were supposedly not demilled properly. His new reciecers were classified as MG recievers even though they were never maching guns.

Hann machine did alot of welded M14 lowers without fake selectors ( aka M1A style)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Back in the mid-1980's I remember reading an article in one of the gun magazines about someone doing this. The article showed pictures of the de-milled receivers, showed each step how the receivers were rebuilt into semi-auto receivers. I don't remember the name of the magazine, just remember reading the article.

Allow me to refresh your memory.

The article was in the July 1986 issue of "Firepower" magazine.  Written by John Norell the process described was for rewelding/rebuilding demilled M16 halves into functionable AND TRANSFERABLE machineguns.  NO semi-auto use is mentioned in the article, and BATFE hasn't approved new Form 1's for over 20 years.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Has been done. But the ones I saw in the 90's had the sides(skins) shaved off. Then the skin was migged to a ar-15 lower. It cost way to much back thenh
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Why?  This just seems like a lot of work to me when a new unbuggered up receiver can be had for under $100 these days.  Just my two coppers.

Justin
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why?  This just seems like a lot of work to me when a new unbuggered up receiver can be had for under $100 these days.  Just my two coppers.

Justin

because it will be hard for me to find an m16a2 or m16 lower for under $100 better add 2 zero's to it.  

something challenging and different.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

because it will be hard for me to find an m16a2 or m16 lower for under $100 better add 2 zero's to it.  

something challenging and different.

That's for sure.
I'd find somewhere for your dogs to stay if I were you.
Might want to switch to velcro, get rid of those shoestrings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Allow me to refresh your memory.

The article was in the July 1986 issue of "Firepower" magazine.  Written by John Norell the process described was for rewelding/rebuilding demilled M16 halves into functionable AND TRANSFERABLE machineguns.  NO semi-auto use is mentioned in the article, and BATFE hasn't approved new Form 1's for over 20 years.

Paladin

Good pull!  I just so happen to have this very same issue. A very young John Norell is pictured with his receivers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top