Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 10:54:21 PM EDT
I just built my first Ar and the thing I could not make up my mind on is the rear sling plate design.
Does any one use one of the Ambi versions? And do you ever use both sides?

The next question is, if a HK style metal clip is used to attach the sling will the HK style clip scratch up the lower?

InvisibleSoul
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
i use the hk loop and only on the side i use.

never really payed attention to scratches that could have been caused by the hook but i seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an ambi, and two non-ambi's. I never use the off side.

I don't worry about the scratches either. But if you are worried look at the Troy slings. They come with the HK hook installed and covered so they will minimize noise and scratches.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
the new blueforcegear udc is also covered now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got an ambi plate form DD.  I have never used the off side.  I don't think I ever will.  I am waiting for TAG to come out with their new plate so that I don't have to deal with the off side attachment.  Depending on the version you get you might have issues with the point sticking out quite a bit or too high.
Don't care for HK hooks as they get snagged on stuff, get sprung, and are a pain.
Yeah, they would scratch the finish if you are really worried about that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you want the HK style snap?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a troy single point sling, that had the HK stysl clip on it and the first thing I did was to cut it off and add a 1" quick release buckle to it. I had not decided on the end plate yet and did not know if I wanted the webbing to attach to it or a HK style clip. With the female part of the buckle on my sling I can attach it to any gun that I want. If the HK sytle clip does not hurt any thing I may just use it , that was it can be removed with a minimum effort. Just keeping my options open. Thanks for the replys it gives me one more thing to think about.  I know the mil-spec buffer tubes are diffrent than others in terms of  O.D. but is that difference going to change how a rear sling plate fits?
                 Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#7]
No, your mounting options are the same.  I'm not a fan of the ambi mount unless you are using it for a specific reason.  I run one on a training weapon, but that is mainly because I let a lot of other shooters use it in classes.

Are you a lefty?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If you need an ambi plate I would recommend the Tactical Link X180. This plate will allow you to use either your dominant or non-dominant hand. The plate has an attachment that will swivel 180 degrees serving the same purpose as your ambi set-up. Of course this will not allow you to use a HK clip. This set-up is a lot better and a much lower profile than the HK. It also prevents scratches from the hook, which to be honest with you, I have never noticed on my sub gun. I use an HK hook on my HK UMP 40. I like it but I think the Tactical Link X180 is a much easier set-up. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny. Check it out at Tactical Link.com  And No, I'm not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied customer!  Paul
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the info. I am right handed, left eye domonate, but I can shoot either way just as good.
I just don't want to have something attached to my gun all the time .ie: a piece of webbing and buckle.
I want something I can take off when I want, and does not take alot of time. I also transition from right to left depending on what I'm shooting around and or from.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Policetacteam,

Many of your posts have taclink.com in them, so its very evident that you like them. However, that swivel looks like a jack of all trades, master of none.  Long term swivel use has always ended up in binding and lack of free rotation for me when used in severe conditions.  I don't see the point when there are other units available.  

I'm not giving you a hard time, but I'm interested in knowing what you find as the actual benefits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Stick,

I am by no means an expert on slings but have used several different  styles mounted on several different types of weapons. ie subguns, shotguns, and carbines. I have used slings from Troy, Viking, Blackhawk, and Tactical Link. All of the listed slings have performed well under both good and adverse conditions. I like the X180 from Tactical Link because it is extremely low profile but very simple. The end plates ability to swivel from side-to-side is a big plus for me. Once the sling is locked into the swivel, that portion is now allowed the ability to swivel a full 360 degrees. This gives your weapon full mobility in nearly any direction. It is a simple design that works very efficiently.  Paul
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top