Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:58:32 PM EDT
I want to thread my barrel to 1/2x20mm. Is that possible to go from 1/2x28mm to 1/2x20mm using the same barrel? I want to put on a home made flash-hider that is tap thread at 1/2x20.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're confused on the thread designations.  The standard AR thread is 1/2"-28 TPI (threads per inch).  If your FH is 1/2"-20 TPI there is no way you are going to modify the existing threads to make it work.  Not without butchering the threads.  You would need an adapter, which would look rather clumsy, or the barrel would have to be cut shorter and rethreaded.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
ive done some minor re threading and it works on some stuff. Just wasnt sure if I should do it on my barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
you could.

more trouble than its worth imo unless you are going to cut it down and then thread it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You cannot rethread existing threads with a different pitch,that would be cross threading.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I will have to cut it and then thread it like he said. thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't it be better to make another flash suppressor with the correct threads than have a barrel with oddball threads?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wouldn't it be better to make another flash suppressor with the correct threads than have a barrel with oddball threads?

+1
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you dont want to make another FH  you can bore out  the  1/2-20 threads (if you have enough wall thickness) and silver solder in place a threaded bushing with the proper 1/2-28 threads... just an idea.          PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
You could buy an adaptor. 1/2 x 28 tpi to 1/2 x 20 tpi. Just a thought.......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Just a thought, but could you JB weld the threads smooth and then try to rethread it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just a thought, but could you JB weld the threads smooth and then try to rethread it?

It is better to leave this type of machining to professionals.  Some of these ideas are just crazy.  On the other hand when you screw it up, we professionals get to charge more money.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't listen to these guys. It'll fit.

You just need to start it, and get a big, really big pipe wrench and maybe a breaker bar. Be sure to clamp the barrel in a vice good and tight. The tighter the better. Put some pressure on it. It won't be flying off after a few shots either. No need to change the thread, it'll adapt to the new ones pretty easy....

These guys just want you to spend money you don't have to.

Adaptors and thread pitch. Bull puckey I say. They didn't make muskets like that back in the day....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You just need to start it, and get a big, really big pipe wrench and maybe a breaker bar. Be sure to clamp the barrel in a vice good and tight. The tighter the better. Put some pressure on it. It won't be flying off after a few shots either. No need to change the thread, it'll adapt to the new ones pretty easy....

Adaptors and thread pitch. Bull puckey I say. They didn't make muskets like that back in the day....

Oh and
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and

Humor is way beyond you I see. Don't worry, there are plenty of people who don't understand funny things. You are not alone.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top