Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:33:52 PM EST
i just put a 4 position collapsible on my bushmaster and when putting it all bnack together again i noticed the buffer detent s[pring was missing. after searching for it for over an hour i couldnt find it. my question is : is it alright to just use a spring of the relatively same size and strength as long as it holds the buffer in the buffer tube? i dont want to blow myself up here. whats the worst case scenario if the buffer slips and nails the bolt carrier after the first shot? i have function checked it and it seems to hold under normal handling without the buffer slipping forward at all.thanks in advance to anyone who can help out here
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:41:45 PM EST
11 views and no one knows?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:45 PM EST
If you place the bolt carrier in the upper, and lock the bolt in battery, you'll notice the back end is flush with the upper's rear edge.

IE, even if the buffer detent and detent spring were absent, while assembled, the buffer CANNOT move forward into the upper.

The detent is there so that when you split the receivers for cleaning, the buffer doesn't just shoot out under pressure.

The detent is held in place by the end of your Lower Extension, either Car collapsible tube, or the Rifle A2 tube.

The Carrier slides past the detent because of a notch milled into the bottom of the carrier.

So, nothing really ever touches the detent with much force under normal circumstances.

Make sense?

E.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:55:52 PM EST
The spring is cheap. Improvise, but order another one. (Lost an aftermarket safety spring for a Mauser bolt and subbed a cut off AR take down pin spring, last Thursday)
Top Top