Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 11:57:29 PM EDT
I am the owner of a bushmaster vmatch which I love using for hunting of varment mainly coyote.  Its a vmatch it has a flattop upper and I have a nikon ucc mounted and zeroed to where I like it.  I am also going into the army in the very near future and would like to get back to the basics with iron sights.  When I decided this I had a couple of choices/options I could sell the rifle and buy a much cheaper or nicer rifle with the irons I wanted.  2. buy a front and handle sight for it. 3 new reciever.  I decided since i have a love for coyote hunting and love the accuracy I find in my 20 inch/scope matching I would prefer getting the new upper.  Its more money but its also an investment on my part.  Im okay with spending the extra cash.

The situation now is this.  Im looking at del-tron.com at there 16 inch preban like this
http://www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=472
I would use my own bolt and housing so that would take 90 off from the charge
Is there anything else I should know.  For example I was interested in a 11.5 barrel before I came accross the 1943 nfa so other wise is there anything I would need or want with this set up to make it work well with my vmatch lower?

thanks for any help ahead of time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the M16A2 clone upper from Bushmaster, should be about $535. make sure you spec a government profile A2.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Im a little confused on that.  I had checked bushmasters site and they have upper assmblies like im looking at but they only have m4 a2/3 and nothinga bout 16 clones.  no to mention they are the same set up for a hundred more.  Im wondering where EXACTLY I can find a government spec version so I am not training on the wrong style.  Its hard to relearn on something if you learned wrong or on the wrong equipment.

thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Call them and specifically tell them that you want the government profile 20 inch A2 upper with the 1/7 barrel. They only make one like that, and they will know exactly what you are talking about. They don't put it in the catalogue, but they make it, same as 14.5 M4s with 1/7 barrels.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
no I know I can't get the 14.5 with out an sbr license but can they bring that down to 16 inch barrel?  I would prefer it shorter.  But will do that tomorow see what they can get me.

also is there anyway to give karma/rep to members on this site.  Im some what of a lurker and have been to many forums and know the difference between trolls and supporters.  Anyway to give props to the supporters here?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
no I know I can't get the 14.5 with out an sbr license but can they bring that down to 16 inch barrel?  I would prefer it shorter.  But will do that tomorow see what they can get me.

also is there anyway to give karma/rep to members on this site.  Im some what of a lurker and have been to many forums and know the difference between trolls and supporters.  Anyway to give props to the supporters here?

Buy from them? If you want the 14.5 just tell them to weld a 5C1 Phantom on it, they will charge $35 for it and ship it that way. Or order one and have a local smith do it. I fyou are going to stick with irons though, the long sight base is better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I will definately be calling them on that tomorow.  I love bushmaster for there customer service.

Another question close on the same lines but still diferent.  I have seen 22lr and even 50 cal conversions for my rifle Ive also heard of other pistol round conversions.  What other conversions can be done and who does them.  Can you have the gun shooting a 308 like the 10s or do you need a new rifle?  Also on the smaller scale can I get a .17 round.  Im not as up on this subject as I want to be and am really interested in looking around.  I like the idea of using the same lower with several configurations for my hunting styles.  Would be nice to shoot .17 for a day of prairie dog hunting.  any info is appreciated again..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get a .22 LR upper only. No .22 magnum or .17 yet. Pistol calibers are available too, check out this forum for info there. you can't shoot .308, thats too large, but if anyone ever produces ammo for it, Olympic makes a .30 Caliber WSSM that matches .308 balistics in an AR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel bad after posting I took a stroll down to the conversions sections.  Nothing im really to excited over.  I can't see the same joy behind shooting .22 maybe magnum or hornet but eh.  Im excited to be moving into larger bore weaponry.  thanks for your help ill be sure to look around mroe before asking the same questions over for you again.

Ill update after speaking with bushmaster.  they may be slightly out of my pricing if they run much over 500 seeing as you can buy some ars full gun at that price.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Be careful, with the Black Rifle, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#10]
thats a truth that goes anywhere im affraid its 10 fold for the black rifle.  I will have to call my friends at bushmaster tomorow.  Ill have to see if theres anybody with one for sale used.  cheap is always a friend when it comes down to a student waiting on the army.  Money doesn't exactly come fast or easy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok called bushmaster they are telling me its 570 and would take about 8 weeks.  I can't wait 8 weeks.  What alternatives are there.  do  you see them at all in the exchange.  Is there any place that might have them in stock.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Give Fulton Armory a call.  They have FN A2 barrels in stock (they did last week anyway) and they can put together what you want.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks will call.  At the range today I shot an older shooters a2 which had the same reciever as mine.  I liked the sights and the overall feel.  Will call fulton tomorow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
My favorite Ar-15 is preban (is that even a word anymore?) Olympic.  I like precision, and manueverability.  I ditched the 20" FN barrel for a Armalite M15A4(T) 16 " Stainless barrel kit.  It is more manueverable than the 20", more accurate, and weighs the same, just in a shorter package.  It is spendy at $325.  The tighter chamber does NOT like WOLF ammo though!  You can rock with it like a blaster, but then throw a scope on it and drive tacks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Im still planning on holding onto my vmatch barrel and having the scope mounted on that.
I like the feel of a 16 inche barrel with irons.  Hopefully fulton has what I want cheap enough.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top