Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2002 9:00:59 PM EDT
I am trying to check feeding reliability on my AR 15.  When hand feeding, I mean by letting the bolt fly foward from the locked position to chamber a round off the mag, does that set the next round off the mag up differently than when the bolt is forced to lock back after the last or previous round on a mag?  Also, when loading the chamber in this manner, should the rifle be in a near horizonal position, and not vertical?
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The position of the rifle does not really matter.  Once the bolt comes back for the next round, the bolt will pull the top round back(friction) to the rear.

As for a better test on feeding, insert a full mag then fire the rifle for the whole mag.  The rifle will act a little different when under it's own power.  On some rounds like Hp's, the rifle will hand cycle them fine, but you may find that they may will dig their tips into the barrel below the feed ramps and cause a jam when the rifle cycles under it's own power.

I understand that it may be night, or cold where you live, but put the rifle down and stop over thinking it's function.  Also, it helps to have a gun room where you can paw the rifle for hours away from the family.  It keeps the wife from asking you strange questions on your mental state, while your watching TV and groping a rifle.
Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything!!!!!!!!
[peep]

Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Good point.  I should have never went into that closet and tested the damn thing just now!
Wife is gonna wake up and have me commited.  

Moved the bolt forward from the locked position and had failure to feed twice.  However, have not cleaned it since the range yesterday.  Had just gotten it back yesterday from Bushy with barrel exchange from SS to chrome.  Did not have any failures at the range, and no faiures prior to sending it to Bushy for barrel exchange. Just wondering if they put the barrel on right or something. Thanks for the response. -John
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If your riding the cocking handle back, the friction of the round coming out of the mag and climbing the feed ramps will jam the round.  This is why you either pull the cocking handle back and release, or lock the bolt back and hit the bolt release button to drive the round out of the mag and into the chamber. Both by the way, will wake up the wife and get you a good ass chewing.  

So if I was you, I would just put the rifle away, climb back in bed and give the other gun a work out.  This way she may still think your crazy, but instead of having you committed, she might get up early and cook you breakfast with a smile.
[sex]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
If you wake up and hear HER testing that feed function...GET OUT of the HOUSE!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I discovere that when hand cycling my AR in more than a 30 degree angle, it will not feed from bolt locked back with release ffrom the paddle like button on the left. Does fine in horizontal position!  Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Your gun will never feed/cycle 100% when your hand is involved in anything more than pressing the release on the left side.  It hould operate in any position when the release is pressed andd the carrier is allowed to move by itself.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Not the case here. No riding the lever and using only the bolt release, will not feed above 30 degree elevation. Leaves out mountain hunting. Really, just needed ramp cleaning and works fine.  Bushmaster says might want to file ramp slightly to remove any burrs. Had me concerned over a new gun though. BTW -not a newbie, just revisiting.-John
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The easy response is to just feel the feed ramps and check the front of the mags where the bullet ride out of the mags for burs.

If you don't want to go the long way and just let the rifle polish it's self(break in), you could do a little polishing to smooth up the areas.  But if your like the rest of us how would rather shoot than slave over a rifle, the bullets will polish out the ramps and the mags in a short time(few hundred rounds).  Just keep the upper slightly wet with CLP and blast away.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Your gun should feed reliably in any orientation...up, down, upside down.  THis is not a gravity-based charging system.  The mag lips hold the round long enough for the nose to hit the ramps, which guide the round into the chamber.
Anyone else have trouble charging their gun in ANY position?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple of guys (under industry and Bushmaster board) says they have this problem also (apparently worse than mine). With mine, a little oil cured it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#11]
sonyboy1,  

I see that you have found that the whole cleaning and lube idea is not overrated.

Happy to see that with the right nudge, anyone can fix a rifle quietly in the closet at midnight, without waking the wife.  Neither myself, nor Royce, would have every dared to perform such a stunt, due to the repercussion (and beatings) from our wife's. We solute your bravery and feel that a medal is in order for bravery, sacrifice, and dedication, while performing under such a hostile environment.
[beer]

From the comedy team of "Royce and Dano"!!!!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top