Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2008 8:17:23 AM EDT
Please forgive this question. I found an early essential Arms J-15 complete lower receiver with m-16 parts. I know the m-16 parts are illegal in any ar-15 style rifle. If I remove the m-16 parts and destroy them am I then ok to build the rifle with standard ar-15 parts? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure you are.......

Good luck w/ your build and welcome aboard,

mike
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless of course you come into possession of said m16 parts and the ATF decides that constitutes an intent to build an FA weapon...
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
what should i do with the lower then? if i have already cut up the said m16 parts and destroyed them
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Please forgive this question. I found an early essential Arms J-15 complete lower receiver with m-16 parts. I know the m-16 parts are illegal in any ar-15 style rifle. If I remove the m-16 parts and destroy them am I then ok to build the rifle with standard ar-15 parts? Thanks

You could also alter the parts to make them no longer auto-capable.  The selector pretty much has to go but the hammer and such can all be fixed fairly easily.

Whichever you choose, I wouldn't waste a lot of time deciding.  The longer you have them the longer you risk some 1 in a million chance of getting caught with them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what should i do with the lower then? if i have already cut up the said m16 parts and destroyed them

So long as it hasn't been drilled to accept an autosear it is just a normal lower.  Install a normal ar15 parts kit, attach the upper receiver assembly of your choice and head to the range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
"So long as it hasn't been drilled to accept an autosear it is just a normal lower. Install a normal ar15 parts kit, attach the upper receiver assembly of your choice and head to the range."

The  receiver has not been drilled.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
post deleted
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're in NoVA, drop by Virginia Arms in Manassas.  They have a good selection of AR parts and can install them for you if needed.  After the contraband parts are destroyed, of course.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One more question for you guys. How does the form 4 fit in all of this if the lower with the m16 parts is on form 4 and the said m16 parts are now junked.

The form 4 applies only to the registered lower receiver or the registered auto sear.  Everything else is just a spare part that can be replaced at will.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Welcome new guy..

Now........If you are doing something illegal don't come here and share it, don't ask about it.

With your post count and your first post I can assure that we are more than curious about your intentions.

You are being highly scrutinized sir.

slasher

I just had a few questions that's all. As the title of this the post said question from a newbie. I took the lower to a local gunsmith who deals with ar stuff and he said everything is fine. If somebody asks a few questions and they admit they are new to the subject give them a break.   i made it very clear i understood that using any m16 parts in an ar-15 is illegal.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top