Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2009 3:35:35 PM EDT
I just bought my first red dot type sight(vortex strikefire) and was told by one person that in order to be accurate with it you need to keep the dot in the same place in the tube every shot, but was told by another person that it doesn't matter where the dot is inside the tube, it will still hit what the dot is on. Who is right?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It will hit what the dot is on, you don't need to look directly down the center of the tube.

EDIT, a good test is to aim at a target and then move your head around, your sight picture will change but the dot will be aiming at the same place.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
artsohc nailed it.  Any of the red dots labeled parallax free work as he described, the strike fire is one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The vortex is not parallax free under 50 yards.  As the dot moves to the very edge of the scope the point of impact will be slightly off.
IRRC this is true (to a lesser extent) even for red dots that claim to be parallax free.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It dosen't matter with an aimpoint, others I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Aimpoints are parallax-free past 50yds so if sighting-in at 50yds try to keep the dot as centered in the tube as possible.
Once it's sighted-in there will be minor parallax at less than 50yds but for all practical purposes you won't notice it.
IIRC only the Eotech is parallax-free at all ranges.
Tomac

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even aimpoints have a small amount of parallax
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it would matter for self defense purposes.  I have Aimpoints (T-1 and M4S) and two Prismatics.  No matter how hard I try to miss by getting the dot at the edges of the optics, I have never missed my relatively large targets (6" to 8" circles or sillhouettes) from close ranges (100 yards and less).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top