Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:53:57 PM EST
if i took a Noveske N4 upper (carbine length gas system) with a pinned Iron front sight and took it off could i have a larue gas block re-pinned at the mid-length to make it a mid length gas system? would this work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:22:09 PM EST
i believe if you look the barrel is slightly thinner where front sight would need to go , so no it will not work
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:39:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rock501:
if i took a Noveske N4 upper (carbine length gas system) with a pinned Iron front sight and took it off could i have a larue gas block re-pinned at the mid-length to make it a mid length gas system? would this work?

Are you considering closing the original and opening a new gas port?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:57:07 PM EST
I would think that this is one can of worms you don't want to open.

Best to start over with the right parts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:31:01 PM EST
Why not just buy a BCH HF mid length barrel & be done with it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:59:13 PM EST
ya ok, so how bout this one then......

would a larue low-profile gas block fit on this noveske barrel?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:22:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 4:32:25 AM EST by GearHead_1]

I must be missing something here. Isn't this barrel exactly what you are after with the difference being a Noveske low-pro? What is the Larue offering you that the Noveske isn't? Aren't both the Larue and Noveske after market gas blocks screw on blocks?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:27:44 AM EST
yeah, this barrel is what i am after.

What im doing is putting a larue 11" goosneck rail on it. Its going to be a midlength gas system so the gas block is going to be sticking out of the bottom of the rail. (barely)

Its simply just a preference, i like the look of the larue gas block and how it sticks out a little further to cover more of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:54:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By GearHead_1:

I must be missing something here. Isn't this barrel exactly what you are after with the difference being a Noveske low-pro? What is the Larue offering you that the Noveske isn't? Aren't both the Larue and Noveske after market gas blocks screw on blocks?

and i think i just found my answer to keeping a top of the line 1:7 barrel and putting a Larue gas block on it.

was looking around and found this white oak barrel that has a wide enough .750" seat to sit the Larue gas block on.

much cheaper too...... and i could even send the thing off to put a bead blasted finish on it and it would probably STILL be cheaper than the Noveske.

thoughts? comments?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:08:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 9:50:43 AM EST by GearHead_1]
I don't know anyone that owns a WOA barrel and has regretted doing so. I also believe you would come in under the price of the Noveske even having it blasted. You mentioned sending it away and I wouldn't discourage this but will give you something to think about. There are many places (probably local) that are capable of blasting a sweet finish. Let's face it you need a cabinet and the right media. These places may not necessarily be Gun Smiths but still capable of this size task. Custom car/machine shops could blast a matte finish on a barrel in a heart beat and probably save you a buck compared to sending it away for the same job.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:55:16 AM EST
i hear ya, thanks bud
Top Top