Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 2:53:57 PM EDT
if i took a Noveske N4 upper (carbine length gas system) with a pinned Iron front sight and took it off could i have a larue gas block re-pinned at the mid-length to make it a mid length gas system? would this work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
i believe if you look the barrel is slightly thinner where front sight would need to go , so no it will not work
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

if i took a Noveske N4 upper (carbine length gas system) with a pinned Iron front sight and took it off could i have a larue gas block re-pinned at the mid-length to make it a mid length gas system? would this work?

Are you considering closing the original and opening a new gas port?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think that this is one can of worms you don't want to open.

Best to start over with the right parts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just buy a BCH HF mid length barrel & be done with it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
ya ok, so how bout this one then......

would a larue low-profile gas block fit on this noveske barrel?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I must be missing something here. Isn't this barrel exactly what you are after with the difference being a Noveske low-pro? What is the Larue offering you that the Noveske isn't? Aren't both the Larue and Noveske after market gas blocks screw on blocks?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, this barrel is what i am after.

What im doing is putting a larue 11" goosneck rail on it. Its going to be a midlength gas system so the gas block is going to be sticking out of the bottom of the rail. (barely)

Its simply just a preference, i like the look of the larue gas block and how it sticks out a little further to cover more of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I must be missing something here. Isn't this barrel exactly what you are after with the difference being a Noveske low-pro? What is the Larue offering you that the Noveske isn't? Aren't both the Larue and Noveske after market gas blocks screw on blocks?

and i think i just found my answer to keeping a top of the line 1:7 barrel and putting a Larue gas block on it.

was looking around and found this white oak barrel that has a wide enough .750" seat to sit the Larue gas block on.

much cheaper too...... and i could even send the thing off to put a bead blasted finish on it and it would probably STILL be cheaper than the Noveske.

thoughts? comments?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know anyone that owns a WOA barrel and has regretted doing so. I also believe you would come in under the price of the Noveske even having it blasted. You mentioned sending it away and I wouldn't discourage this but will give you something to think about. There are many places (probably local) that are capable of blasting a sweet finish. Let's face it you need a cabinet and the right media. These places may not necessarily be Gun Smiths but still capable of this size task. Custom car/machine shops could blast a matte finish on a barrel in a heart beat and probably save you a buck compared to sending it away for the same job.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
i hear ya, thanks bud
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top