Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 3:27:30 AM EDT
guys i have a RRA 16 inch car A4 rifle. IT IS THE FLAT TOP WITH A SCOPE.  i use it for coyote hunting. i use a spot light that mounts to the TOP OF scope. i took it out last night the first time on a night hunt. u might know i am getting some reflection off the front barrel sight back into the light WHICH THEN REFLECTS BACK INTO SCOPE. CANNOT SEE A THING. only get this at night hunting with this 700,000 candle light. front sight is just to tall. question...... can i just take the front sight off ? how big of a job is it ? i also have a tatical sling i would like to keep on the gun. it looks like the sling ring that fits on the front of the gun is really attatched between the post of the front sight ( i hope i am making my self clear ha ha ) if i just take front sight off can i also use the same sling set up ? thanks. marty   [email protected]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Get your self a Rail Forend and secure the flashight to the lower (6 o'clock) rail.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Coldblue

Wouldn't that add a lot of weight to the front?

Not a flame, just an observation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...only get this at night hunting with this 700,000 candle light...thanks. marty   [email protected]
View Quote

I don't think adding a lightweight system like a RIS or RAS (compared to the plastic standards you would replace) or one of those rails that mounts to the plastic handguard (but at the 6 o'cock rail) would really add that much weight to a gun you primarily "sit with", least that's the way I used to hunt coyote with lights for bounty using bitches in heat as lures.  
I think the real weight is in the 700,000 candle power light & battery accessory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
guys... i am not trying to get away from the weight, i love the light. 700,000 candel for 4 hours. i am trying to take off front sight of gun so i dont get reflection from the light hitting the front sight and bouncing it back into my scope. i can i just take front sight off of this gun ? i dont usefront sight with a scope.     marty
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You can’t simply remove your front sight tower since it’s also part of your gas system!

Further, if you’ve got a permanently mounted muzzlebrake, removing the tower will be quite a job.

However, if you’re willing to go to a [b]lot[/b] of trouble, you certainly could replace it with a gas block such as this:
[image]www.brownells.com/Images/Products/452015110.JPG[/image]

Don’t know if it would work, but I’d first try putting a black Velcro strip on the back of the sight tower a see if it will absorb enough light to make your scope usable.  Use just the bushy side of the Velcro and don’t use the other half.

You might even be able to get things to work by “smoking” the tower with a burning plastic spoon (i.e., by coating the tower with carbon to reduce reflection).  Be sure to re-oil things at the end of the night so nothing rusts.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://store4.yimg.com/I/dremel-store_1744_688475[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#7]
guys thanks for the help. man this webste is great. want to thank every one for all the great help over the last year. after the trial run 2 nights ago with ar night hunting i think i should just set up a bolt gun for night hunting. it is a little easier and safer to use in the night for me. and reaaly dont want to put gas block on it.  i also found out that at night ar 15 has alot of buttons to keep track of in the night.  the sigle shot 223 i can get set up for 250.00 thanks again. marty
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i also found out that at night ar 15 has alot of buttons to keep track of in the night.
View Quote

???? [whacko]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top