Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 7:39:56 AM EDT
I'm toying with something ridiculous.  Since I already know how to built a modern AR, and have done so, it's no longer fun, interesting or challenging.  For my next build, the plan is to scrounge, scavenge, scrimp, and actually buy some of the cheapest cast off but still suitable parts.  Aside from obvious quality and possibly wear issues, what other pitfalls should I look for.

Will an A1 barrel fit into a flat top upper with out modification?  Will an A1 upper match up to an A2/A3 upper?  What about bolts and carriers and charging handles and stuff, and more stuff?

The result of this project will undoubtedly be a Frankengun, so I hope the purists aren't offended by my question.

Also, I'm thinking of cutting an old 20" bbl to 16".  Are the threads easy to recut?  Is that a gunsmith job, or can anyone with a brain and a lathe do it?

Thanks for any and all wisdom, opinions, rumours, etc.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Will an A1 barrel fit into a flat top upper with out modification?

Yep.

Will an A1 upper match up to an A2/A3 upper?

What about bolts and carriers and charging handles and stuff, and more stuff?

There have been no major design changes to bolts, carriers, or charging handles affecting interoperability.

The result of this project will undoubtedly be a Frankengun, so I hope the purists aren't offended by my question.

Nope.  I guess you missed all the retro/frankengun threads here?

Also, I'm thinking of cutting an old 20" bbl to 16".  Are the threads easy to recut?

For a gunsmith, with a lathe, and re-crowing experience?  Yes.  Cake.

For you?  (since you asked this question, I will assume you have NOT done a couple hundred) then No.

Is that a gunsmith job, or can anyone with a brain and a lathe do it?

I would leave it to a gunsmith, or an experienced machinist.  Even a good machinist, who can turn the OD, and cut the threads and shoulder no problem, might not have enough experience to cut a quality crown that wont hurt accuracy.

Also keep in mind, if you chop a 20" to 16", you have to open up your gas port or the gun will not cycle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#2]
ok disrespecting my own post....i think i meant matching an a1 upper to a later lower.

i admit i missed the retrofranken threads.  i tries some searches, but mine only turned up one hit for frankengun.  i know generally that genetic splicing is frowned on by many

Thanks a bunch for the info, falarak!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
yes the uppers will fit onto lowers.

its an ar15
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yes the uppers will fit onto lowers.

its an ar15

But be aware, the color of your early type upper will not match your new production lower.  So be ready to either live w/a two tone AR or getting out the refinishing equipment if you can't.

As noted above, all assemblies of ARs are interchangable between old and new. I've even seen pics of an Air Force EM with what is obviously an early M16 lower, fitted w/a current M4 upper assy and collapsible stock
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
2-tones are cool.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
YEAH I'm thinking probably multitone.  Hopefully my parts will all be mismatched enough so I don't have to refinish anything
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top